Upgrading to 6.21 loses configuration.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Upgrading to 6.21 loses configuration.

Postby olc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:20 am

From 5.59 I installed the upgrade to 6.21. Everything is gone - groups, file lists, option settings, etc. How do I get this all back? I'm sure it is somewhere in these forums, but I can't find. it. There was no choice to upgrade when I installed. I also tried to use an older .nbi file and get nowhere. Help!
olc
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: Upgrading to 6.21 loses configuration.

Postby itimpi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 am

Not sure why your settings have disappeared as the upgrade should bring settings forward. However if it did not recognise your old install to offer the Upgrade option that could explain why your lost the settings

You should also be able to start Newsbin by double-clicking the old .nbi file to make it run with the settings from that particular .nbi file.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby olc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:42 pm

itimpi wrote:You should also be able to start Newsbin by double-clicking the old .nbi file to make it run w

Already tried that with no success. I have now restored the older version. Any tips on how to do the upgrade properly so it works>
olc
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Got some questions for you:

1) Did you first uninstall 5.59? If you did that, all bets are off.
2) Did you move your 5.59 installation manually at some point? Like move all the program files to live somewhere else or define custom shortcuts? This can confuse the installer during upgrade
3) What OS is this? Running on wine or parallels or in a VM or something?

Basically, I think you are doing something outside of the norm since this is a very rare occurrence. Probably just something you didn't think to tell us about.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby olc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm

"1) Did you first uninstall 5.59? If you did that, all bets are off.
2) Did you move your 5.59 installation manually at some point? Like move all the program files to live somewhere else or define custom shortcuts? This can confuse the installer during upgrade
3) What OS is this? Running on wine or parallels or in a VM or something?"

1) Ni, I tried to upgrade over a functioning 5.59.
2)I did copy the newsbin folder to an external derive just as a backup, but never ran it from there.
3) OS is Win7 Pro.

Unless you can think of anything else, it looks like my choices are return to 5.59 (already done) or do a clean install of version 6. Thanks.
olc
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:02 am

Typically there's two things a user cares about when upgrading : carrying over the spools, and probably more importantly the overall configuration of groups and groups of groups, along with servers. Those are in the nbi, and as you well know can be a pain to set up. It's unclear if you still have those in the v5 you went back to, but if you do, quick, just do a fast backup from that file. I promise you, you don't need to set those up all over again if you have a copy of that file. Now, if you don't have that, you're back to a vanilla v5 setup, then I agree, I'd just do a clean install.

If you do have that data, it's unclear what 'didn't work' means. Don't have v6 running when you double click on the nbi - you want to start v6 by double clicking the nbi. Or, if it's colliding with v5, use 'run with' and choose v6. This automatically replaces the nbi with the old one you just clicked on, and can be done anytime. Make sure it's in a reasonable location first, it will look for it there each time.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support