Hide Old Does Not Work for Me

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Hide Old Does Not Work for Me

Postby ppan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 am

I am finally upgrading from v5.59 to v6.21, but I am confused about the display setting "Hide Old" in v6.21.

In v5.59 I could easily determine if all files within a certain time-period had been downloaded, but I am not sure how to do this in v6.21.
For example, I have a file with RAR & PARs:
someFile.part001.rar
someFile.part009.rar
someFile.vol000+01.PAR2
someFile.vol010+07.PAR2

In v5.59, I set the display setting to "Hide old", and I didn't use compact mode (individual files shown). This would hide all downloaded files, but still show PAR2 files that were not downloaded (since they were never needed). I then created a filter "NOT PAR2" that showed all files except PAR2 files. In this way I could easily see if there any files that I had missed.

However, I can not figure out how to do the same in v6.21;
How do I avoid the compact mode to instead show the individual files? I believe this is the only way to "Hide Old"..??
Now, if I select "Hide Old", the downloaded RAR files still show up...!

p.s. I changed the Title from "Show individual files (v5 vs v6)" to "Hide Old Does Not Work for Me"
Last edited by ppan on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: Show individual files (v5 vs v6)

Postby DThor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am

Things have changed a bit, you'll need to be prepared to alter your method slightly. You can't disable the compact mode, the idea is to minimize micro managing. However, it's a valid point about wanting downloaded files to not show up as new. Personally, I'm a little unclear about what's going on when they show up again, but I've found that they almost always become old and get hidden by the second pass i.e. mark them old and wait until next load, they should be gone. I've been suspecting this might be related to partial uploads, maybe a single par was missing the first time but you didn't care, more posts added to it next time would make it show up again. Not sure, Quade might have a more definitive answer to this. For me, though, they are by far the exception rather than the rule, and never stick around in the long term.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby ppan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 pm

DThor wrote:Things have changed a bit, you'll need to be prepared to alter your method slightly. You can't disable the compact mode, the idea is to minimize micro managing. However, it's a valid point about wanting downloaded files to not show up as new. Personally, I'm a little unclear about what's going on when they show up again, but I've found that they almost always become old and get hidden by the second pass i.e. mark them old and wait until next load, they should be gone. I've been suspecting this might be related to partial uploads, maybe a single par was missing the first time but you didn't care, more posts added to it next time would make it show up again. Not sure, Quade might have a more definitive answer to this. For me, though, they are by far the exception rather than the rule, and never stick around in the long term.
DT

When I click on the '+' symbol next to the file-group, I see that all the individual and downloaded RAR files are marked"'Idle/Old". However, many PAR2 files are marked "Idle/New" as expected as they were never downloaded (not needed).

The problem is that the group name, shown to the right of the '+' symbol (and is equal to the name of the first RAR file), shows as "Idle/New". Thus, when I select "Hide Old" every single group still shows up (and there are several hundred of them).

As mentioned above, in v5.59 I just showed the files individually and then "Hide Old" worked fine. I don't know how I can accomplish this in v6.21?
(This is very important for me, as I do not have time to manually expand and review each group individually.)
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby ppan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:10 am

Hiding old/downloaded RAR sets does not seem to work in v6.21!? I am surprised that this has not been discussed previously?
I really need to find a way to determine if all files in a group (within a certain time-period) have been downloaded in v6.x...

If this is not possible, maybe the only is solution to revert back to v5.59?

That would not be ideal as I can then not take advantage of any progress made in v6.x :(
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 am

Well, you sort of answered your own question, and what I said still holds. :-) There is a different approach to the workflow which doesn't require so much micro-managing. You're used to all this hands-on fiddling with files that are part of a post, you simply don't need to do it anymore. Hide old does work just fine - I use it constantly - but I think you're trying to assign things inside a post, by expanding it. I'm unclear why you'd need to do that.

Let's say there's a post, it has pars. Select the single entry, or, in some cases because of the way it was posted you might see two entries (primary and par) so select both, and add to the queue. Newsbin connects them as a single entity and regardless of how you added them, will only download pars if it needs them, and clears out both. The next time you revisit that group, the post in question will be marked old if you have automark old enabled like me, or you can just hit delete. You're done. This assumes you have autopar enabled.

Now, if you're not seeing this apart from perhaps a few exceptions, then maybe something else is at play. If you've decided you like to micromanage posts, well, yes, you'll be micromanaging. Possibly I'm missing the point and not getting your workflow, but that's the intent, to help you get stuff without fiddling.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:39 am

I'm not quite following either. I'm looking at a list of files. I change it to "Hide Old" mode in the toolbar and the files I downloaded last night vanished.

When Newsbin marks something as "Downloaded" it also marks it as old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Hide Old does not work for me :( .

I am looking in the subject list of a particular group. As I explained above, and as an example, I have a RAR group where all RARs and 2 PAR files were downloaded (they are marked "Idle/Old"). It does not matter if I select "Hide Old" the group name (which is the same as the first RAR file) is still shown. Note that the group name is shown as "Idle/New". I guess that is the problem? How can "Hide Old" work when the group name is shown as "Idle/New"?

Is the group name supposed to show as Idle/New or Idle/Old when all RAR files have been downloaded but only a few PAR files have been downloaded?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Re: Hide Old Does Not Work for Me

Postby DThor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:03 pm

OK, first off - are you downloading them by selecting the main files and adding them, or are you expanding them and adding some and not others? It's not clear if you've left the micromanaging behind or not. If you follow the method I mentioned, it should work.

Secondly, keep in mind you'll be needing to reload the group for this to show up.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby ppan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 pm

DThor wrote:OK, first off - are you downloading them by selecting the main files and adding them, or are you expanding them and adding some and not others? It's not clear if you've left the micromanaging behind or not. If you follow the method I mentioned, it should work.
Secondly, keep in mind you'll be needing to reload the group for this to show up.
DT

I think I know what the problem might be;
I have been using v5.59. In this version, I used compact mode and selected all files and added those files to the download queue.
After they were downloaded, I had to use the method originally described (show files individually, hide old and filter out PAR2 files) to confirm that all files were downloaded.
Using this method, v5.59 did not show any remaining headers, i.e. all files had been downloaded in the group (for a particular time-period).

I next upgraded to v.6.21 and imported the v5.59 headers. Now, when I view the headers for this group, the name of the RAR sets (which is the same as the first RAR file) shows as Idle/New (but all RAR files shows as Idle/Old).

I guess that the name of the sets would instead have shown as Idle/Old if I had downloaded the sets using v6.21 rather than 5.59? I also guess that in this case, "Hide Old" would have worked?

If this is correct, I may not be able to use my imported headers (from v5.59) and then use "Hide Old" in v6.21?

If my assumptions above are correct, I must go back to v5.59 so that I can go through all my groups to determine which headers have been downloaded..? After taking note of this, I can upgrade to v6.21 again and use these notes to determine where to start downloading.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:56 pm

If this is correct, I may not be able to use my imported headers (from v5.59) and then use "Hide Old" in v6.21?

Importing the headers should have preserved old/new state. Did you manually import them? It's the only way to import from 5.59 to 6.X. If you didn't import them, you might be looking at new headers Newsbin just downloaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 am

Quade wrote:

Importing the headers should have preserved old/new state. Did you manually import them? It's the only way to import from 5.59 to 6.X. If you didn't import them, you might be looking at new headers Newsbin just downloaded.

Yes, I imported the headers. The old state was preserved for the individual file names. However, the RAR set name did not exist in v5.59, only in v6.21, so there was of course nothing to preserve. When the RAR set name was created in v6.21 it therefore shows as New and the "Hide Old" will subsequently not work.

Is this correct, or should the newly created RAR set name (created in v6.21) somehow show Old?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 am

OK, but this is easily solved, right? For each group /gog, the next time I'm reading the latest downloads when finished just right click and mark all read? That will mark everything on disk and in memory as old. Certainly no reason to have to go back and forth between versions with the brutal conversion to boot.

Unless of course you're using the read state for something far more convoluted than I do. For me, it's simply a way to let me quickly hide posts I've already perused. If I want to know what's been downloaded, I'll use the signature for that, although admittedly that doesn't give me a list per se to read.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby ppan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:34 pm

ppan wrote:Yes, I imported the headers. The old state was preserved for the individual file names. However, the RAR set name did not exist in v5.59, only in v6.21, so there was of course nothing to preserve. When the RAR set name was created in v6.21 it therefore shows as New and the "Hide Old" will subsequently not work.

Is this correct, or should the newly created RAR set name (created in v6.21) somehow show Old?

Are my conclusions above correct; the RAR set names in v6.21 will show as New?

If so, I need to go back to the earlier version to find out which files were already downloaded in each group. I can then upgrade again and mark those RAR set names as old.
I assume that the old spool files are still intact (in the directory "SPOOL_V1")?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 am

As Quade said, it's supposed to carry over. The entity that didn't exist in v5 is supposed to have it's read state match the contents inside it. I suppose it's possible that you didn't mark all contents old, that might be the reason. Yes, the spool in V1 isn't altered by the conversion process so you could go back and check this.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby ppan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:48 pm

DThor wrote:As Quade said, it's supposed to carry over. The entity that didn't exist in v5 is supposed to have it's read state match the contents inside it. I suppose it's possible that you didn't mark all contents old, that might be the reason. Yes, the spool in V1 isn't altered by the conversion process so you could go back and check this.

DT

DThor,
Thanks for responding, but I think that there is a misunderstanding. I never marked any files as old. The downloaded files are automatically renamed as old. Indeed, all the downloaded files in the RAR set are marked as old in v5.59 & v6.21.

However, it is the new name of the set that is created in v6.21 that is not labeled old (this name didn't even exist in v.5.59). Thus, the Hide Old filter, which works on the set name, does not work.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support