Can V6 SIGNATURE.db3 get corrupted

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Can V6 SIGNATURE.db3 get corrupted

Postby tonylamb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 am

Did a new install of V6 (had 4.32 before). Spent several days running SigGenV6.exe against my files. ended up with 36 meg size SIGNATURE.db3. Made sure that all settings were correct, advanced tab has use duplicate detector checked and folder dupe bypass is not checked. However, it does not detect dupes at all. Sees them as new. Ran SigGenV6 again against a folder (its not in d/l path) it processed all the files, but when i d/l a file to the d/l path that was in that folder it did not detect it as a dupe.

Copied the db3 file and deleted the original. Opened and closed newbin and a new on db3 appeared. ran SigGenV6 again against the folder (not in d/l path) and then restarted newsbin. Now it detects dupes of anything i try to d/l that exists in that folder sdo it appears to work fine.

tried the old db3 file again did not detect dupes.

Is the SIGNATURE.db3 damaged or corrupted? Will I have to use SigGenV6 again and rescan all my files? Is there a way to fix it?
tonylamb
n00b
n00b

Re: Can V6 SIGNATURE.db3 get corrupted

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Yes, it's like any other file and can get corrupted. It should be backed up if it's important to you. It's possible to get some of the data out of the corrupted file but, it depends on how corrupted it is. There's a process using a command line tool that can dump the database up to the corrupted data.

It's sort of involved. I'd have to write something up on the process. It sounds like you've solved it already though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tonylamb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 pm

hmm, takes long time to re-do. Is there something I can do to minimize corruption? I made sure Newsbin was not running when i ran the sig exe, also I broke the scanning in smaller chunks rather than reading one huge directory and sub-directories. I exited out of it after each run and did not run Newsbin until i was finished.

Was that process flawed? Two or three times i closed it before it was finished scanning, would that have corrupted it?
tonylamb
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:19 pm

The files are pretty robust. I'm thinking things like system crashed and power outages when I think about corruption.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support