Autorar Blocks found = 0 is Incorrect

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Autorar Blocks found = 0 is Incorrect

Postby ppan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:49 am

All the files in a RAR set are downloaded, but Newsbin doesn't unrar.
In Newsbin Autorar properties several files show
Blocks needed = 6
Blocks found=0

I checked with Quickpar and all files are there and are complete (repair not needed).

I tried refresh, but it made no difference.
I also tried to download a couple more PAR2 files, but that also didn't do anything.

How can I get Newsbin to start re-checking the files & unrar?

p.s. I am using v6.21
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: Autorar Blocks found = 0 is Incorrect

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 am

Exit Newsbin, Delete the file "Autopar2.db3" in the newsbin data folder then try again (means you'll have to re-download). If that doesn't work, you can PM me the subject and group and I can try it. Don't post it here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Quade wrote:Exit Newsbin, Delete the file "Autopar2.db3" in the newsbin data folder then try again (means you'll have to re-download). If that doesn't work, you can PM me the subject and group and I can try it. Don't post it here.

I deleted "Autopar2.db3" and downloaded another one of the PAR2 files. I then tried refresh. It still didn't work. What is the purpose of 'refresh'?
I guess that I will need to download all RAR files again, even though they are already on disk?

If so, why cant Newsbin have a command to scan the download folder for RAR/PAR2 files (I thought that was the purpose of 'Refresh'?) and then start the repair/unrar?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:52 pm

Par2 files contain no blocks. They might contain Repair blocks but, the smallest PAR won't even contain that.

I'm not clear what you're trying to do. Newsbin tracks files as it downloads them. You deleted all the tracking when you deleted the autopar2.db3 so, now you need to download the files over again or preferrably download new files and repair the files you already downloaded by hand.

If so, why cant Newsbin have a command to scan the download folder for RAR/PAR2 files (I thought that was the purpose of 'Refresh'?) and then start the repair/unrar?

Because that's not how it works. If you add the download again to the download list with Ctrl-Y (to bypass the duplicate checker) Newsbin will download the first chunk of the file, then look on disk to see if the file is there. If it's there, it'll use the file that's on disk instead of downloading the whole thing again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ppan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Quade wrote:I'm not clear what you're trying to do. Newsbin tracks files as it downloads them. You deleted all the tracking when you deleted the autopar2.db3 so, now you need to download the files over again or preferrably download new files and repair the files you already downloaded by hand.

No repair needed according to Quickpar. This happened to several sets. I guess I will do manual unrar. I just needed to understand why Autorar didn't work so that I can avoid this issue in the future..

Because that's not how it works. If you add the download again to the download list with Ctrl-Y (to bypass the duplicate checker) Newsbin will download the first chunk of the file, then look on disk to see if the file is there. If it's there, it'll use the file that's on disk instead of downloading the whole thing again.

OK.. What is the purpose of the refresh button?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:14 pm

Update the display while the file is downloading.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support