NewsBin does not seem to find the internet connection.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NewsBin does not seem to find the internet connection.

Postby Natalie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:03 am

Until November 2011 I was downloading without any problems. I haven't done any downloading since. I wanted to resume now in February, I get error 10060 server did not send a correct response... I have made no changes since November except switch from Zone Alarm to Webroot protection and install a new router. Upon starting this notebook, windows made a new network connection since it was a new router and I set it as Public. Newsbin exe is allowed in Webroot, windows firewall did not prompt me to allow or not, which should mean that it is allowed, but still the same error.

I thought I will upgrade to the latest version of nb as it may solve the problem by re-installing all files, but when install gets to: downloading the language file, I get an error that I need an internet connection, when I click retry, I get and error to close nb if it is running (which it is not) and so on again. I am connected to the internet and everything else is working properly. What would be the solution? Uninstalling will not help since I cannot re-install as nb install is not getting connected to the internet.
Thanks for your help.
Natalie
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/06/09

Re: NewsBin does not seem to find the internet connection.

Postby DThor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:43 am

Running the latest is a good idea anyway, but almost certainly it's the things you've changed that caused it. Problem is, you've changed more than one thing so you need to completely disable in every possible manner any antivirus, or 'protection ' software, like this webroot thing. See if that works, if it does you know your router's not behind things. Some of these programs are pretty insidious and make normal usage of a computer beyond writing emails and surfing pretty difficult. Even disabling them can be tricky - it might claim it's off, but some filtering lurks, 'for your own good'.

Anyway, that's a first step. If it still has problems, perhaps your router is set a little too aggressively. The deal is you want whatever port you're using in the server setup to be left alone.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support