Topics/GoG's properties propagation

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Topics/GoG's properties propagation

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Back again with a whacko question for ya:

ver 6.30B6

Using Topics with all their properties set the child groups seem to ignore (cosmetic or otherwise) the setting in a few ways:

1. Despite Topic having filename accept & reject filters set for a given filetype, child groups are rejecting the download based on global filter.

2. Topic has a Filter Profile set, shows that Filter Profile name, yet child groups say "none" and do #1 above.

3. Looking into the .NBI config file I find the settings stored interesting given these child groups have Parent references and no local overrides checked. Even odder is that the child group maintains previously checked overrides like Filter Profile, and even removing them from the .NBI by hand (while NBP is not running) still results in *some* child groups adding the settings back on next load/save cycle.

Code: Select all
[some.random.group]
DisableAutoRAR=0
DisplayAge=0
EnableAutoMode=0
FilterProfile=MyFilter
LastAccess=1329509561
MaxSize=0
MinSize=0
PAR_AutoDownload=0
Parent=Random
ShowFiles=0
ShowNew=0
UseFTR=0
UseMDA=0
UsePath=0
UseProfile=0

Code: Select all
[Random]
DisableAutoRAR=0
DisplayAge=0
DownloadPath=G:\downloads\nntp\Random\
EnableAutoMode=0
FilterProfile=MyFilter
IsExpanded=1
PAR_AutoDownload=0
ShowFiles=0
ShowNew=0
UseFTR=0
UseMDA=0
UsePath=1
UseProfile=1

Summary: It seems Topics are not governing their children's properties correctly, that some properties are set per-group even though not checked, and that unchecking per-group settings does not seem to flush the settings from the config. Manual pruning of the NBI file to remove all but Parent references from groups' entries does not mitigate the problem and in fact the settings return on next config save.

Sorry not to bring this up but before as I had not seen it until B6 choked on my filter DB & forced me to redo some stuff this this popped up. I can send I real copy of my configs privately if you need it.
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Re: Topics/GoG's properties propagation

Postby DThor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Global is global. It's always applied, so you should remove anything from there you might not want. You can always override any filter with Ctl-Y force download, of course.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm going to research this when I get a second but, D is right in that global always applies.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 pm

DThor wrote:Global is global. It's always applied, so you should remove anything from there you might not want. You can always override any filter with Ctl-Y force download, of course.

DT

OK, I had been looking at Global as top of a pyramid, overridden by lower filters, a default when nothing else was defined. Readjusting my thought process & changing my Global.
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Quade wrote:I'm going to research this when I get a second but, D is right in that global always applies.

Thanks Quade, I know your busy and I hope I am wrong!
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 am

I see what you were thinking, yeah. The notion is there are always certain basic things that you will never ever want. If a subject has '.exe' in it, or the post contains a '.scr' file, I'm out, for example. Cascading layers of filters that override each other is a nice idea, but would be easily confusing, I think.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support