Who disconnected me?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Who disconnected me?

Postby ricknews » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Whenever I run Newsbin, all computers in my house gets disconnected from the Internet. And Newsbin gives the following messages. I can't pinpoint it would be my ISP Time Warner or my news server news.Astraweb.com. I suspect Time Warner did this. I think astraweb.com can deny me its news access, but It wouldn't be able to bring down the internet access for all my home computers. Do experts here have an idea? Thanks. So far I haven't reached either of them because I think both of them would say they did not do anything.

Some repeated messages are deleted:

[20:35:48] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[20:35:48] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:news.astraweb.comSendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read From Server Failed
[20:35:48] ERROR NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server: news.astraweb.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[20:35:55] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[20:35:55] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:news.astraweb.comSendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read From Server Failed
[20:36:18] ERROR SocketAddress - Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: news.astraweb.com11001
[20:37:13] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[20:37:13] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[20:37:13] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.astraweb.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[20:37:13] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.astraweb.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[20:37:18] ERROR SocketAddress - Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: news.astraweb.com11001
[20:37:25] ERROR SocketAddress - Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: news.astraweb.com11001
[20:37:43] ERROR SocketAddress - Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: news.astraweb.com11001
[20:37:43] ERROR SocketAddress - Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: news.astraweb.com11001
ricknews
n00b
n00b

Re: Who disconnected me?

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:08 am

It's likely your router crashing. Considering the everything gets disconnected. You're looking for a single point of failure. It used to be pretty common that routers would crash under load. It's less common these days.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ricknews » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:03 am

I actually tried switching the router. It didn't solve the problem. If I stop downloading using Newsbin, then no internet problem at all.
ricknews
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:30 am

It is definitely something at your end. There is no way that using Newsbin should bring down your Internet access for other computers. As Quade mentioned, it has to be some shared component crashing under load.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby ricknews » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Then why does the Newsbin error messages say "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" or "Server: news.astraweb.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:"? These messages sound very much some remote system did something.
ricknews
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Because you were supposed to be properly connected, you didn't give them an expected response, so they disconnected you. Just the fact you say that the whole house disconnects is a huge clue, this means it can't possibly be the news server alone. Assuming this only happens when you're downloading heavily, as the guys have said, it means part of your network infrastructure is failing under the load. When you say you replaced with router, I guess I wonder what you replaced it with. For example, if you're downloading over wifi, that can be very unstable with many routers.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support