My observations on the recent problem of hung posts.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

My observations on the recent problem of hung posts.

Postby Hoola » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:28 am

Like alot of people with the last couple of releases i've suddenly started getting intermittent problem of some posts in the download list hanging at 99% and not completing even though the group says it's complete with a full set of pars.

Now the logging tab says that the part requested is not available on the server and says it over and over again on all 4 of my suscribed servers ( 5 if you consider the EU and US astraweb servers as seperate ) .Now i've tried many times shutting down NewsBin and restarting it and once the file has rubuilt to 99% it hangs again with the same error that it doesn't exist on the server.

Now here is the bizzare thing that if i completely power off the computer and restart and then restart newsbin again the files get to 99% and then start downloading a couple of missing files and then goes on to par check and unrar with 100% completion as normal.
Hoola
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: My observations on the recent problem of hung posts.

Postby DThor » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:10 am

Do you have aggressive mode set? If so, try disabling it.

If not, do you see 'retries', anywhere in the status column for the post? This means newsbin is waiting to try the post again, and you should just leave it be. Odds are the chunk is missing on the specific server at the time of the hang, whether it's a problem with connection, a server issue, or the post is in the progress of uploading and not quite there yet, and with default settings(I. E. Aggressive mode off) newsbin is trying to be patient waiting for the missing chunks.

I'm not convinced that restarting the system is any different than restarting newsbin, but anything is possible I guess. Perhaps the NIC being reinitialized sent a trigger to the server, but I'm doubting that. Any time you're in a scenario like this, you see a post that's almost all there and has lots of pars and you just want it, you can trigger it to abandon waiting by right clicking on the post and Assemble Incompletes. That will trigger par download, repair and extraction. That's also what you *have* to do if you have aggressive mode on and the server is having trouble, which is why that mode is only useful for very reliable servers.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 am

What version are you running?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Hoola » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Version 6.31 Build 1877

Only started happening with the last few releases over the last month or so and i always do a fresh install so thats not corrupt.

DThor wrote:I'm not convinced that restarting the system is any different than restarting newsbin, but anything is possible I guess. Perhaps the NIC being reinitialized sent a trigger to the server, but I'm doubting that.DT

Not saying it's the case with newsbin but a bug in any software can cause caching/buffer corruption that is only resident while the computer is running if it doesn't unload ram or temp disk files and becomes a stuck overflow or corruption issue.
Last edited by Hoola on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoola
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:19 pm

- How many retries do you have set? Retries set when Newsbin gives up on incomplete files, assembles them and attempts repair. The default retries these days is 2. The larger the number, the longer Newsbin is going to wait before it assembles the files.

- What do you see when you right click and select "Properties" on the main item for the set of files?

- Do you have it set to unrar automatically?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Hoola » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 am

Standard install settings and it automatically par repairs and urars

Have to wait for it to happen again before i can look at Properties.
Hoola
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support