Moving to another computer.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Moving to another computer.

Postby cathaven » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:42 am

I'm moving Newsbin Pro from my Laptop (Windows XP) to my desktop (Windows 7). To save time, I'd like to copy all the data (Spools etc.) from the laptop.
Is there anything in the Newsbin folder in Application data that will cause me problems if I simply replace the folder with the one from the Laptop?
cathaven
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Moving to another computer.

Postby dexter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20 am

As long as the folder name is the same as what's listed in the "Datapath" variable in the newsbin.nbi file, it should be fine. There is a procedure for moving Newsbin to a new computer detailed here.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nethead » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:46 am

follow up question to this old post....

does uninstalling newsbin pro decrease the install count?

I'm retiring an OS drive, using the same computer and ugprading/installing new SSD OS drive.

Over the decade of using newsbin pro, i've had numerous OS drives die (newsbin pro was never uninstalled ofc as when the drives died, they died hard), reinstalled newspro, not had an install limit issue..so far..(but i think i've had more than 3 drive DIE lol)
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby dexter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am

Yes, uninstalling decrements the use count. We also have a time element in the key usage algorithm to allow for system crashes and such when an uninstall is not an option. The whole key usage thing is really there to prevent abuse, we don't want it to hinder normal usage. If you ever get locked out, just contact us and let us know what happened and we will reset it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nethead » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:05 pm

dexter wrote:Yes, uninstalling decrements the use count. We also have a time element in the key usage algorithm to allow for system crashes and such when an uninstall is not an option. The whole key usage thing is really there to prevent abuse, we don't want it to hinder normal usage. If you ever get locked out, just contact us and let us know what happened and we will reset it.

Thank you greatly for the reply and help, worked out using this old message thread. :)

I think may be able to leave in place on current HD for now. Didnt' want to uninstall just in case i screw up something and then find after installing the SSD, the SSD doesn't work well on this old computer and i'm left setting up newsbin again on the old HD and maybe messed up settings (lol) i have copied off all newsbin config/data to external drive just in case. i tend to do a semi-annual backup of newsbin :)

I'm going to first try a clonezilla copy of OS drive to SSD,(if it boots) run for a few days, see how well it works; if not well I'll do a clean OS install..which I prefer, but have a few yrs of programs/setups installed i don't feel like dealing reinstall/setup unless I have to, lazy no. don't want to spend the time doing, yes)
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby dexter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Keep in mind that even if you clone the drive, you'll still need to re-register Newsbin. Just go under Help -> Register/Update Key and resubmit the key info there then restart Newsbin.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to V6 Technical Support