Deleting filter profiles by mistake.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Deleting filter profiles by mistake.

Postby Quah » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:52 pm

NB 6.60 B 4163
Since the new style of filters I've mistakenly deleted the profile I was working on (twice). And it hurt a lot. The problem as I see it is that the old way allowed inline changes, like changing a single digit, but the new way only allows bringing the line to the top, and re-adding the hang line back in after making the changes. The obvious next step is to delete the old line. This is where I make my mistake. I look down and press delete. And the profile gets deleted. I'd suggest a 'Are you sure you want to delete this profile' pop up, a 'delete line' button next to add, and allowing in-line changes again. Right clicking does allow deleting lines, but it's an after thought.
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/09

Re: Deleting filter profiles by mistake.

Postby Quah » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Actually there is a pop-up, but it asks the same question 'Do you want to delete the filter entry' for the whole profile and the single line.
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:40 am

It's worth thinking about. Maybe adding "in place edit" too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quah » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:24 pm

I guess the importance should be based on the percentage of affected users. For now I'll assume it's just me. If more people post "Me too" replies, that would show I'm not the only one. Thanks :)
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quah » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 am

This is no longer an issue to me, as I've moved to using Watch lists exclusively.
Watch lists are already better, in my opinion, but then I'm not a regex person :)
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Ok. Sounds good.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby petewagner2002 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 pm

This was the nearest post to what I just experienced. In setting up filter profiles, I used to be able to delete line item entries. This morning, when I went to delete a line item entry, it deleted the entire filter profile. Paying more attention to it on another profile, I noticed the confirmation box asked if I wanted to delete the profile. Using the right-click method to try to delete a line item entry also would only profile deletion. Earlier this week, I could delete line items, now I cannot.

Is there a setting I should check regarding this behavior?
petewagner2002
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/07/08

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 am

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. If I select a specific filter entry in the right hand side and hit delete, it deletes the entry. If I select the name of filter on the the left side and hit delete, it deletes the filter itself.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby petewagner2002 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

What you said is the way it worked for me also 2 days ago. Now, if I select a specific filter entry in the right hand side and hit the delete button on the left side, it deletes the filter profile rather than just the filter entry I highlighted. The right-click context menu on a filter entry seems to work properly today though. Today the right-click menu delete selection deleted the filter entry only, whereas yesterday it deleted the entire filter profile.

I think that yesterday, I was editing filters while Newsbin was downloading headers (and some of the HeaderDownload filters I had set up were "in use"). Don't know if that was causing the right-click error. [I was editing different filters than the ones in use]

In any case, I make multiple "backup" copies of my filter profiles before editing in case something goes awry. First couple of deletions were a bit frustrating though. :)
petewagner2002
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/07/08

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:56 pm

What you said is the way it worked for me also 2 days ago. Now, if I select a specific filter entry in the right hand side and hit the delete button on the left side, i

The delete button is lined up under the left hand list for a reason. New and Delete both under the left list, apply to the left list.

I was using either the right click menu or the actual delete key on the keyboard.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support