6.42 under Win10

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.42 under Win10

Postby Prof_HHill » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm running Newsbin 6.42 successfully under Win7. I have a lot of headers that I update and read on 30+ newsgroups. What problems, if any, should I anticipate if I upgrade to Win10? Can I stay on 6.42 or will the Win10 upgrade force a Newsbin upgrade as well. If so, what are the Newsbin upgrade issues involved and will the new version run smoothly with Win10? Your advice is appreciated.
Prof_HHill
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/09/10

Re: 6.42 under Win10

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:20 pm

I think you can just upgrade win10 and Newsbin will keep working. It depends on whether the data folder remains the same. Newsbin 6.4 should just work under Win10 with no required upgrade. You might have to hand edit the configuration file if the data folder changes.

In Newsbin select "Open Data Folder" in the options and then note the folder name.

It's kinda hard to describe. I think worse comes to worst, you might have to manually move some folders and edit the NBI file. Coming from Win7, I don't think you'll have to though.

I'd suggest not uninstalling 6.42 no matter what the Win10 upgrade claims.

6.4X is 4 years old so, some of this I'm just guessing at. It's a standard windows application so there shouldn't be any issue.

Issues from upgrading to the current release are that the download/wish/failed list won't be brought forward and the "Downloaded" tagging for old headers probably won't work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support