Download of PAR2 files?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download of PAR2 files?

Postby ppan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Trying to troubleshoot some unRAR issues.

How does Newsbin decide which PAR2 files to download? Does it matter in which order the files are listed in the download list?
For example does it matter if files of type
XXX.vol135+13.PAR2
are listed before
XXX.PAR2

When they are in that order it seems like all XXX.vol135+13.PAR2 type files are downloaded...?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: Download of PAR2 files?

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:15 pm

1 - If retries expire, it downloads the first undownloaded par. Typically they're in order from smallest to largest but aren't in your odd set so, you get odd order.

2 - If it's close to having enough PARS. It'll look at the size of the par in blocks and download one a little larger than the required blocks.

As retries fail and the unrar fails, you'll eventually end up with all the pars.

In your case the unrar is probably failing which kicks a par into download each time the unrar fails. The unrar is probably failing because of the oddball set and because not all of the RARS have landed yet.

You probably need to do what I suggested in the other topic on this issue and manually control the download order when you have the rars split over a number of PAR sets.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Quade wrote:You probably need to do what I suggested in the other topic on this issue and manually control the download order when you have the rars split over a number of PAR sets.

That is exactly the issue. I don't know how to add the files; RARS and PARS from the Group list to the download list so that they are in the "right order. Normally, I would just select all the RARS and PARS without worrying about the order (I think that they are added in date order), and Newsbin takes care of downloading the correct PARS.

I wouldn't know about an issue with the file-set until I start having problems. Do I then need resort the files in the Download list so that the RARS with the highest number are first? Do I need to be concerned where the PAR files end up?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:03 am

I recommended a potential solution in one of your other topics.

Since I don't know what you're downloading, I can only guess what's going on.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ppan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:27 am

Quade wrote:I recommended a potential solution in one of your other topics.

Yes, and it was not clear to me, hence the question above:
Normally, I would just select all the RARS and PARS without worrying about the order (I think that they are added in date order), and Newsbin takes care of downloading the correct PARS.

After I have discovered the issue where there are several PAR2 files for one large RAR set, can I then resort the files in the Download list so that the RARS with the highest number are first? Do I need to be concerned where the PAR files end up after resorting?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:57 am

Since I don't know what you're downloading, I can only guess what's going on.

We're not going to make any progress if I can't tell what you're downloading.

If you don't want to tell me, that's fine but you're on your own trying to figure this out. All I can make is general suggestions. If they don't apply, there's not much I can do.

You can always open the set up in the post list and add the rars individually.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ppan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:48 pm

The purpose of this post was not to try to figure why a particular post failed unraring, but trying to figure out how the downloading of PAR2 files work.
I did some "experiments", and I think that I understand now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I download a regular grouped post, there is no issue; the first PAR2 file, fileName.PAR2, is downloaded followed by the RARS and possible larger PAR2 files as needed for repair.
With a non-grouped post, the RARS and PARS may not be in any particular order (because they are listed by posting date/time). In this case, many non-needed PARS may be downloaded before all the RARS have been been downloaded.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:00 am

Yeah seems like a fair assessment. If they're not grouped, they're just random files to Newsbin. Autopar will still work. It just won't work the way it does when they're grouped.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RangerXus » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Quade,

I just saw this post and have a related question. I hope this is not considered hi-jacking the OP post...

In my case I just downloaded a grouped post, all under a + posting and can be expanded to show test.mp4.001, test.mp4.002, test.mp4.003, test.mp4.004, test.mp4.005, test.mp4.par2, test.mp4.vol000+001.PAR2, test.mp4.vol000+002.PAR2, test.mp4.vol000+004.PAR2, test.mp4.vol000+008.PAR2 in that order. When I select the + post line to download the entire set, the first par2 is downloaded first, then all the other PAR2 files in order, then downloads start with .001 through .005 and the test.mp4 file is assembled and all ### and par2 files downloaded are deleted.

Using v6.62, I have settings Disable Autopar = off, Automatically Unrar Complete Files = on, Delete Rars and Pars on successful UnRar = on, Pause Pars and only download the ones needed for repair = on, everything else off.

I expect the first Par2 to be downloaded and all the repair PAR2s to be paused. But as I explained above this is not happening. Is this a bug or is there a difference in the way .001 files are handled and reassembled vs. true .rar file being handled and reassembled.

Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/07/09

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:08 pm

I expect the first Par2 to be downloaded and all the repair PAR2s to be paused. But as I explained above this is not happening. Is this a bug or is there a difference in the way .001 files are handled and reassembled vs. true .rar file being handled and reassembled.

What version are you using?

If Newsbin can't find the PAR data in the pars it'll keep downloading the PAR files looking for the data. The download sequence should follow the order the files are listed but bad par files can trigger it to download the rest of the pars.

I don't know if this is your issue but it could be your issue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support