Help understanding Unrar pathing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Help understanding Unrar pathing

Postby dajohnson007 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:19 pm

I need a little help on how to setup my pathing properly.....i currently run into issues when dealing with obfuscated files etc. I like to keep a tidy house and seem to not be able to do it as well as i like, was hoping someone can help me figure out some better settings.

Im not using any automation integration at this point, everything is being DL'd manually by using the search feature or loading some nzb's. When using NZB's a folder is created which is titled properly and easily identifiable. When manually searching, i select and send the files to a new folder containing an easily identifiable name.

With my current setup when i download obfuscated stuff it ends up unrar'ing into a big ole' obfuscated mess in the unrar folder, lol. I cant figure out whats what at this point if the file itself has an obfuscated name as some things do....

Is there a way to force newsbin to unrar in the already created folder (same as "extract here" on a extracting program)?

Here are my current settings:
Main DL Folder:
D:\temp\newsbin\

DL Folder for NZB Files:
D:\temp\newsbin\$(NZBFILE)\

UnRAR Folder:
D:\temp\newsbin\UnRAR\ xxx

I have tried placing a few different var's at the end of the unrar folder settings, such as $(LASTPATH) but to no avail.... I have also tried removing the entry altogether and they seemed to default back to my documents folder.....on my c-drive.

Or if you have some totally different solution to do this, I'm all ears as well

I love the par'ing and unrar'ing automations in the newer versions of newsbin and hate to have to disable them like im currently doing.

Help? Image link not allowed for unregistered users
dajohnson007
n00b
n00b

Re: Help understanding Unrar pathing

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:47 pm

1 - If you don't set an unrar path, it'll unrar to the same folder it was downloaded to. In your case this might work for you. Use "Download to folder" download to that folder and the files should unrar there.

2 - Keep in mind that any changes you make to the pathing ONLY apply to files that you add to the download last after the change.

3 - What's the download path set to? If it's in "My Documents" that explains why the files end up there when you remove the unrar path.

For now, I think #1 is what you probably want. If you decide to automate things, the answer might change. $(SUBJECT) should work too. If you use out search engine you can use $(SEARCH) too which uses the search string you entered.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support