"Network drive out of space" not handled well

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

"Network drive out of space" not handled well

Postby JesseKnows » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:10 am

Hello,

I believe there was a thread about similar issues some moths ago, here is the current observation, made yesterday with 6.72RC1:

My setup has a Windows 7 with Newsbin pretty much dedicated to the news handling, and it has some local hard drives for storing binaries. In addition there is a Windows 10 PC that I use for other things and it has hard drives for storage as well.

Yesterday I noticed that a couple of downloads seemed to complete but did not unRAR and disappear from the download tab. Investigation showed that the unRAR destination had no space. Specifically, it's on a USB drive mounted in a directory of one of the Win10's local drives. The USB drive had filled up.

Issue 1:
I saw that Newsbin downloaded the PARs for the files, so it seems that it detected the unRAR failure but did not know (or act on the knowledge) that the failure was due to no space in the destination. If it did, it would not have bothered with the PARs.

Issue 2:
When I noticed that space was exhausted I cleared some space. I may be wrong, but my impression was that I had cleared the space before the 2nd file had downloaded enough to unRAR but I am not sure; space may have been provided after the file was completely downloaded. Still, I observed that the 2nd file did not unRAR but proceeded to download the PARs. Both files ended up completely downloaded with PARs but not unRARed even after space was made available.
I am under the impression that in the past there was a retry mechanism that would have kept trying to unRAR and when space was made available the unRAR would have succeeded without intervention.

Issue 3:
I cam back at the end of yesterday and manually unRARed the files (using the right click menu on the two items). The content unRARed into the correct folder. However, the downloaded parts stayed in the download folder. Is there a way to have the manual unRAR delete the files after successful unRAR, like the normal flow does?

Thanks again for a great product

Jesse
JesseKnows
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: "Network drive out of space" not handled well

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:10 pm

As long as you didn't lose any rars, I consider it sufficient when you run out of disk space.

I kinda consider this like checking the oil on your car. It's on you to maintain sufficient disk space. My job is to not lose any data, which apparently it didn't.

I'm shrugging off the PAR downloads too. That's what happens when the unrar fails for any reason.

I can look into deleting. It should when you unrar. Not sure if it should when you sample.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby JesseKnows » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:36 am

I totally understand the assessment that the observed behavior is acceptable.

Regarding the part deletion - I had used right click/AutoPAR/UnRAR/Join Files. I've never used Sample (what does it do?)

Jesse
JesseKnows
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:51 am

I've never used Sample (what does it do?)

If you sample on a partial download (typically I wait for two rars to download), Newsbin will unrar what it has and try to display it for you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support