Problems

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problems

Postby keep » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:49 pm

I always run into some kind of weird troubles with Newsbin, but I never know if it's the software who acts crazy, my usenet provider or the files I download.

Today, I was finishing a 80 gb download, it was downloading PAR2, not sure why because all rar were completed (well at least assembled on my hdd) and suddenly I noticed it started renaming lot of them with capitals letters but setting the size at 0 kb (without making a backup of any file of course). So I quickly closed Newsbin. Then, I noticed not all the files it renamed with capitals had a size of 0kb, but some of them kept their original size. So I ran Multipar, and all the files in capital had 0 blocs available except for the ones closer to the end (thoses at the beginning who kept their original size had 0 blocs available too).

Anyway I just restarted Newsbin, I'll let it do whatever it wants, Im tired :(

Newsbin 6.72
Win 10 x64
Plenty of space
One main server and one as a fill
Last edited by keep on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/11/09

Re: Problems

Postby keep » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:03 pm

can it be that the files it downloaded were previously complete on the news server then no longer? (but then why trying to re download them) or server/newsbin reported them incorrectly complete the first time..

When files are assembled as rar on hdd doesn't mean they are complete ?

Right now, it's re-downloading all the files in capital but keeping them as chunks, but it wiped tons of completed 300mb fully downloaded rar for no reason (or maybe rar were bad)
Last edited by keep on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 pm

1 - First thing you want to do when weird stuff like this happens is look at the logging tab. Look in particular for 430 errors. 430 means the server is saying "Don't have parts of the file".

2 - What security software do you use?

3 - All caps mean "parts of the file are missing". How long did it take you to download this 80 gigs? Is it a week long effort or a couple hours?

I've never seen it do what you've described so, I'm trying to figure out the background to try to guess what's happening.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby keep » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:38 pm

1. I have 430 errors now it's re downloading them but not the first time it downloaded and assembled them. But I had other weird errors related to my provider (usenetbucket) not concerning the files as far as I can tell.

2. I use Avira.

3. 48h but I sometimes put my pc in deep sleep mode.

I think this download will complete just fine anyway. Honestly, most of the time it works great but over the years every now and then comes a weird problem on a specific download, could be my pc, usenet provider, newsbin having troubles handling a certain numbers of specific conditions.

It's not big deal, don't worry. I'll try to post as many details as I can if I have a similar issue again.
Last edited by keep on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby keep » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:01 pm

ok so it re downloaded some of the rar in caps (I think only the one who had a size of 0kb), assembled the chuncks so I had some PART00x.rar & PART00x(0001.rar) and it finished downloading par2 (like it started 3hours earlier lol). Now it has successfully repaired and extracted :)

I think Newsbin did a great job, the files were damaged and also the provider is not the most expensive (but I have a filling server at newsdemon). Still not sure why some files went from full size to 0kb and it did not create a copy and had to re download them.

Thanks for the support :)
keep
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support