6.72 issues and disk corruption

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.72 issues and disk corruption

Postby batclark » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi folks, I've been using NBpro for some time now and only recently encountered issues. Up until Oct 2016, I was using 6.62 with absolutely no hiccups whatsoever. Subsequent to a fresh install of Win7 in Oct, I decided to grab 6.72 and things were fine up until a few weeks ago. Upon launching 6.72, the following warning popup now appears:

"Unable to write to a test file in the data folder. This suggests the data folder is "Read Only". This needs to be fixed for downloads to function properly."

This popup appears twice and after some delay, NB finally launches, but Win7 then basically freezes and results in drive issues where NB is installed. I have Win7 installed on an SSD and NBpro completely isolated on a secondary 2TB HD (including the download AND the data folders).

I'm now contemplating reverting to an earlier version of NB such as 6.62, or does anyone have any insight into what might be going on ? I haven't found a single clue regarding this particular
warning message either here in the forums, or on the web.

Much appreciated and thanks in advance.
batclark
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/27/08

Re: 6.72 issues and disk corruption

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:31 pm

I'd suggest a re-install of Newsbin. Complete re-install.

I have to say, for something like this to hurt your drive or windows suggests something is wrong with windows. A program shouldn't be capable of hurting windows or the drive like this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: 6.72 issues and disk corruption

Postby batclark » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks for the response. After some further checking, it appears that my 2TB Seagate HD had irreparable block and cluster errors.....installed a new HD and things appear to be fine since then.

I appreciate the feedback.
batclark
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/27/08

Return to V6 Technical Support