Internet Search

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Internet Search

Postby longer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:37 pm

There seems to be no definitive place for the search feature that requires an extra charge. Can you use RE when Internet searching? If not why not?

Why does
Code: Select all
702p | 1080p

work fine but:
".720p" | ".1080p"

fails? yet works fine on an indexing site http://www.nzbindex.nl/search/?q=%22.720p%22+%7C+%22.1080p%22&age=&max=25&minage=&sort=agedesc&minsize=100&maxsize=&dq=&poster=&nfo=&hidespam=0&hidespam=1&more=1?

I can't do Boolean logic on phrases on strings? Also if I wan to exclude the character string:
-[PRIVATE} 

it fails to exclude instances of [PRIVATE}?

Does the square bracket break the RE term? is there a documented list of characters like this? I'm finding it difficult doing the most basic searches any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Longer
longer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/07/03

Re: Internet Search

Postby itimpi » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Internet search does not use RE. It is more like a google search with words like 'and' 'or' as operators.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby dexter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:10 pm

Further to itimpi's comments, which are correct, there is documentation here

For your specific example, negating the [PRIVATE], the indexer strips special characters so all you need to do is add -private (it is case insensitive) to your search string and you won't receive any results with that word in the subject.

It is true, you currently cannot do boolean logic on phrases or strings. You can perform a broader keyword search and then apply an RE to the list by just typing in the search field while results are displayed. The search string is processed on the fly as you type and only applies to the current list.

Hope that helps.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby longer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks Folks,

Unfortunately the strings I'm searching for are too common with the added "." as this is the date portion in the subject field (e.g. name.2016.08.09) so I will be casting a really wide net with just the "name" portion.

As a work around however I I think doing this in 2 stages will work for me as long as I'm careful with groups and time limit, thanks for the idea. BTW the character "|" does work as a OR equivalent.

Thanks for the help!

.C
Cheers!

Longer
longer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:40 pm

You could probably use a watch list to watch for and grab matching files. Then you could load the watch list up like a group and use RE's to further filter.

The watch lists allow you to apply a filter profile so, RE's can control what goes into the watch list as well.

"720 | 1080" -> Group Filter to limit to specific groups -> Poster Filter to only accept posters you like -> Filter profile for RE filtering -> Watch list.

The poster filtering is actually a part of the filter profile.

Then you'll have a watch list that accumulates matching files. You can then set Newsbin to automatically download them or load them like a group and manually browse and download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby longer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks for the additional insight Quade,

Hey is there a limit on search terms? i.e. term1 | term2 | term3 | ...

.C
Cheers!

Longer
longer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:50 am

When using Internet Search, it's more of a size limit than an operator limit. As long as there is a single keyword between OR's, the max input size is 1K
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to V6 Technical Support