6.72 Slow to process groups?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.72 Slow to process groups?

Postby mountainsoft » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 pm

I have version 6.72 - Build 4776. In the last several weeks I've noticed Newsbin takes a really long time to process the groups when I open the folder. I assume it is processing the filters and poster lockouts and sorting, but some times it can take well over a minute before the final sorted list is displayed.

I am following 17 groups, have approximately 430 filters, and about 165 poster lockouts. My minimum file size is 450MB, max size is 8GB, crosspost filter is set to 1, and age filter set to none.

My download age is set to 2 days, display age is set to 15, and storage age is set to 30.

I tried to weed out my filters from 500 or so. That seemed to help for a day or two, then it was right back to slow processing again. I realize I have a lot of filters, but I haven't really added any new ones in recent months.

There are many more things I would like to filter, but I'm trying to minimize how many I have to keep things somewhat responsive.

Everything works, it just seems slower than it should be. Any idea what might be slowing it down and what I can do to speed up the processing?

Thanks!
mountainsoft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/14

Re: 6.72 Slow to process groups?

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:18 pm

A couple groups are under attack by spammers right now. They're posting millions of posts a day into some group. This causes header processing delays.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41268&hilit=filter

You could use this method to delete them or just use "Delete all Posts by Poster" from time to time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support