Sudden Speed Drop - or rather Zero

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Sudden Speed Drop - or rather Zero

Postby mb6391 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 am

Been using Newsbin since ?? - a long time. No problems on either the main ethernet wired PC or laptop via wi-fi. Suddenly the main PC will no longer download - comes up with:

[12:53:00] ERROR Server:My_Server NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write TimeoutSocket - Already ClosedSocket - General ErrorSocket - Connection To Server FailedSocket - Write To Server FailedSocket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address

Same message line after line etc.

Uninstalled and reinstalled program - still a no go. The laptop downloads fine and the PC downloads other files outside of the Newsbin program. Settings on both the PC and laptop are identical so it's all go figure time for me here.

So it's help time please - any input appreciated.

Both PC and laptop using Win10 x64. Newsbin Pro 6.72 - Build 4776

01/23/17 - An update - disabled firewall and AV - no difference. Installed older version of Newsbin after uninstalling 6.72 - same result with lines upon lines of error messages (all the same).

Installed a different news reader and the speed returned although now uninstalled as the UI is not for me. So it appears something has got messed up with the Newsbin settings although they are identical to the laptop which downloads fine.
mb6391
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/30/09

Re: Sudden Speed Drop - or rather Zero

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 am

[12:53:00] ERROR Server:My_Server NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write TimeoutSocket - Already ClosedSocket - General ErrorSocket - Connection To Server FailedSocket - Write To Server FailedSocket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address

Seen a couple reports of this lately. If Newsbin hasn't changed, this suggests something else has changed on your PC. Some people claim Windows update has caused this. I'm not sure myself. It's not happening here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mb6391 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:45 am

Quade wrote:

Seen a couple reports of this lately. If Newsbin hasn't changed, this suggests something else has changed on your PC. Some people claim Windows update has caused this. I'm not sure myself. It's not happening here.

It's weird - the last Win10 updates applied were on the 14th Jan and Newsbin has been working fine up until yesterday on the PC. It's working fine on the laptop which has the same updates.

Have swapped from the motherboard ethernet connection to a PCi - no difference although it was more of a hope change than anything else. Not sure where to go with this although as I dual boot I'll try with Win7 later to see if the problem can definitely be software isolated and report back.
mb6391
n00b
n00b

Postby mb6391 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 am

Reporting back - booted Win7 x64 and installed v6.72.

Error - [09:59:16] ERROR Server:My_Server NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write TimeoutSocket - Already ClosedSocket - General ErrorSocket - Connection To Server FailedSocket - Write To Server FailedSocket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address

Uninstalled 6.72 and installed 6.21 - elected to go with x86 although it finished up installing x64.

Error - [10:12:51] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

[10:12:51] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.newsgroupdirect.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout

So it looks as though it's a hardware problem and not software although other newsreaders appear to download without a problem. Definitely all ????'s here - no idea what to try next.
mb6391
n00b
n00b

Postby mb6391 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:31 am

Reporting back again.

Deleted v6.72. Installed v5.54 Build:9644 using elevated command prompt in Win10.

Everything working fine - zero error messages.

So if you're having problems with 6.72 this may be the way to go but you will need that elevated command prompt otherwise Win10 will block the install irrespective as to your UAC settings.

All a 'go figure' moment for me but at least Newsbin is working as it should.
mb6391
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 am

Error - [10:12:51] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

This is typically a sign that your security software is blocking Newsbin off the internet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mb6391 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am

Quade wrote:
Error - [10:12:51] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

This is typically a sign that your security software is blocking Newsbin off the internet.

Everything was disabled with 6.72 - MSE, Malwarebytes and Firewall. Same result with Win7 so I guess it's something hardware rather than software related this end although run out of ideas.

The only other install after the 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)' on Jan 14th was a couple of Java updates (x64 and x86) and MSoft XNA Framework but 6.72 was working fine after these anyway. It all went south yesterday.

v5.54 is working fine with all security enabled so will leave well alone. Thanks for the feedback.
mb6391
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:14 pm

so I guess it's something hardware rather than software related this end although run out of ideas.

This is unlikely. If you can browse the web with you web browser with no issue then the chance this is a hardware problem is close to zero.

I'd experiment by removing instead of disabling every non-MS security package, reboot, then install the latest Newsbin and see what happens. Then you can re-install the security software till things start to fail again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mb6391 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Quade wrote:
so I guess it's something hardware rather than software related this end although run out of ideas.

This is unlikely. If you can browse the web with you web browser with no issue then the chance this is a hardware problem is close to zero.

I'd experiment by removing instead of disabling every non-MS security package, reboot, then install the latest Newsbin and see what happens. Then you can re-install the security software till things start to fail again.

Tried experimenting - uninstalled all the Win10 MSoft updates back to Dec 1st. Made sure no AV, firewall, etc running but still a no go. Now updated Win10 again and back to v5.54 which is working perfectly. So maybe I'll give it another shot with the next Newsbin release - whether official or beta. If there's a beta floating around at the moment then perhaps you could PM me the link.

My pointing the finger at the hardware was that v6.72 does not work on my machine running Win7 x64 - dual boot - separate partition. The big but is that v6.72 was working fine until 48 hours ago - several days after any Win10 updates apart from a simple Defender update. Defender was though disabled when I was trying to troubleshoot earlier and again this afternoon. Even using system restore to an earlier date didn't work.

I could of course do a complete reinstall of Win10 with all the other programs but that's going the nuclear red button route.

Not a problem as I have 5.54 working so not the end of the world and I'm certainly not going to boot Newsbin out of the camp for an inferior newsreader.
mb6391
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support