6.73RC2: "Search in Group" searches all groups instead of 1

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.73RC2: "Search in Group" searches all groups instead of 1

Postby don_colchon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 am

When I right click on 1 group in the group list and select "Search in Groups" and then (locally) search something => Newsbin searches ALL groups instead of the one group I want to search in. It displays results of all groups...
This is a "little" issue for me because I store some trillions of header's of several hundred groups. :D
Researches are impossible, currently. Search in Newsbin 6.72 was OK.
..come un gatto vorrei vivere..
don_colchon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/17/02

Re: 6.73RC2: "Search in Group" searches all groups instead o

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:42 am

I'll check it out. Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dunkem » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:16 am

I'm experiencing this too. Any chance this gets fixed in the next RC? When I use "search in group", I like how it filters as you put something in the search area (without hitting enter) since I like to keep some of the same search words in the pulldown list. If I have to execute an actual search for everything, my common search words get bumped out.
dunkem
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/23/03

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:18 am

Dex and I are having a hard time re-producing it. We've both seen it once each but then when we try to make it fail a second time, it obeys properly.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dunkem » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 pm

When doing a search in group, depending on how you did your last search, it'll produce a tab that either has an internet or local search mode. In the past, changing the search mode after clicking search in group does not work. It'll only use the mode it was using when the tab got produced.

If using local, in the past, I could use a .* in the search field to load all the headers for the group with whatever time constraints I wanted. I could then type what I wanted in the search field (without hitting enter) and it would filter on the fly. Currently, putting in a .* with local gives me everything in every group.

If you use an internet search, however, you can't put a .* in there or you get a usenet search error. I've never been able to get an internet search of "search in group" to pull in the headers for the group.

I wouldn't mind if I could use the usual "show posts" and have it filter on the fly (without putting in enter) as an enhancement.
dunkem
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:53 pm

dunkem wrote:If you use an internet search, however, you can't put a .* in there or you get a usenet search error. I've never been able to get an internet search of "search in group" to pull in the headers for the group.

Use just an asterisk or keep the field blank if you have it in "Internet" mode. Internet Search uses boolean searching not regular expressions.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:35 am

When doing a search in group, depending on how you did your last search, it'll produce a tab that either has an internet or local search mode. In the past, changing the search mode after clicking search in group does not work. It'll only use the mode it was using when the tab got produced.

Pretty sure this is corrected in the latest RC. There was a connection between different search tabs but it's been removed.

if using local, in the past, I could use a .* in the search field to load all the headers for the group with whatever time constraints I wanted. I could then type what I wanted in the search field (without hitting enter) and it would filter on the fly. Currently, putting in a .* with local gives me everything in every group.

This seems kinda pointless. Why not just "load special" the whole group? Wild card search makes sense when search is set to "Internet" but doesn't when you're in local mode. Wild card search in local mode is no different than just loading the topic up normally.

I wouldn't mind if I could use the usual "show posts" and have it filter on the fly (without putting in enter) as an enhancement.

It doesn't do this for performance reasons. Internet search never has more than maybe 10,000 results listed. On the other hand loading the group might have a couple million. "On the fly" searching on 10,000 is plenty fast. On 2 million posts, it isn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dunkem » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:56 pm

dexter wrote:if using local, in the past, I could use a .* in the search field to load all the headers for the group with whatever time constraints I wanted. I could then type what I wanted in the search field (without hitting enter) and it would filter on the fly. Currently, putting in a .* with local gives me everything in every group.

This seems kinda pointless. Why not just "load special" the whole group? Wild card search makes sense when search is set to "Internet" but doesn't when you're in local mode. Wild card search in local mode is no different than just loading the topic up normally.

If i load special, I don't have the ability to search on the fly. I think someone else in the other thread mentioned that we don't know what's out there so we don't know what we're looking for to just put in a specific search. For example, I used to do a "search in group" for 90 days with a wildcard to bring in everything. AT that point, I'd "on the fly" search for all the samples or screenshot jpgs and download them. If I find something I like, I can then do another on the fly search to grab the actual complete file. Sure, I could do a specific local search within a loaded group for the hundred different specific files that interest me, but, like I mentioned, I like to keep the previous search list populated with stuff I look for pretty often and not individual files called "02062106-maya-234" kind of stuff...

What I've recently found is that if I leave the "search in group/topic" empty it searches everything. If I put the one group in a folder and select the folder in "search in group/topic", it works in that it searches that folder only. Since we're searching in group, I'd figure the default would be to search in just that group and the necessity to throw it in a specific folder wouldn't be necessary.

Are you saying you can't replicate a "search in group" with a local setting? You're getting files only in the local group when you're testing it? I
dunkem
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:14 am

If i load special, I don't have the ability to search on the fly.

You're talking about the difference between hitting "enter" and not having to hit it. In a post list, you just have to hit enter to start the filter whereas with a search tab it happens real time (for the reasons I mentioned).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support