nb 6.73RC2 - Filter Header Downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

nb 6.73RC2 - Filter Header Downloads

Postby dane » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 am

Hi Guys

Thank you for the patch and the easy way to filter spam before it hits the header database. The filter you suggested worked marvelously today.

This probably belongs in another thread, but since each filter has an impact on performance, can you suggest a best practice for pruning filters? Before using NB (member since 2005) I used a newsreader with a feature that if a filter didn't fire in a certain amount of time, it was deleted or deactivated (can't remember which). Some of my older filters have posters and subjects which probably haven't been active in years - yet they still exact a toll on performance. Maybe just a listing in the filter dialog that adds the date that particular entry was added? Just asking. Thanks in advance for thinking about it.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: nb 6.73RC2 - Filter Header Downloads

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:16 pm

I'd suggest filtering IN the things you want and not filtering out the things you don't want. Then you can delete filters that you no longer want. I imagine the number of filters would be smaller too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Tarkus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:14 am

Quade wrote:I'd suggest filtering IN the things you want and not filtering out the things you don't want. Then you can delete filters that you no longer want. I imagine the number of filters would be smaller too.

Given that our Dutch or most probably European spammer has changed his style again it is probably going to be necessary to move away from reject to accept. I noticed there was a commonality in the last batch of spam that was easily translatable to a filter but that could change. That said if I put in a filter in the group alt.binaries.newsbin and then "Accept if" "Poster Contains" "Quade" will that remove every other header from the group's header database with the exception of Quade?
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:22 am

If you use accept filtering. It'll only accept headers that match the accept filter. Keep in mind that you can accept on the subject too.

"\[[0-9a-f]{10}\] \\[0-9a-f]{10}\\::[0-9a-f]{14}\.[0-9a-f]{30}\.[0-9a-f]{8}::/[0-9a-f]{12}/ \[([0-9a-f]{10}|newzNZB)\]"

Is a good subject reject filter for the current spam.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby confusednewb » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:20 pm

I tried your suggested filter - I'll admit, I don't understand all the switches, I just cut and pasted. Still had a butt ton of spam - with the random subjects.

Any better ideas? Or anything that works better?
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support