Delete all headers in database via filter?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Delete all headers in database via filter?

Postby Lurker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:29 pm

As most know there is a spammer posting lots of crap in many groups. I have filtered it but today the spammer of course changed so it's randomizing the poster field. I made another filter that can handle it but unfortunately the damage was done as the insane number of headers has already been put in the database. I know I can unsubscribe to the group and resubscribe with the filter on to fix it, but I'd rather not if possible since it would mean redownloading all the headers again. So I was looking for a way to delete all posts using a filter, but I can't find that option. Is there one?
Lurker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/09

Re: Delete all headers in database via filter?

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:11 am

You can't delete them with a filter. There's no function to delete like that from existing headers.

About the best you can do is load the group and find the posts and delete them manually. Or as you suggested, delete the headers and re-download. You can control how much it pulls with the "Download Age" setting if you delete. Right click "Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts" is how you delete without unsubbing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Delete all headers in database via filter?

Postby Lurker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 am

Actually I figured out a work around for the problem. I used my filter in reverse. So I made a temporary ShowSpam filter that used "accept if" instead of "reject if" then I just selected all the displayed headers and deleted them. :) Thanks though for the reply.
Lurker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/09

Return to V6 Technical Support