Only downloading spam now

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Only downloading spam now

Postby Kivrin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 am

Okay, maybe not my finest hour, but after setting the filter as described to eliminate the spam posts, I don't get anything in my messages now. I download what looks like a very large number of headers, but the only ones I can see (briefly) are the spam ones. And they disappear when I try to look at them. Maybe something obvious, maybe not, but I haven't had any kind of problem with Newsbin before, and maybe this isn't Newsbin. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Newsbin a couple of times, including deleting all folders and settings, but no change. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Kivrin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/16/13

Re: Only downloading spam now

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Sounds almost like you set the filter to "Accept" instead of "Reject".

And they disappear when I try to look at them.

What's your "storage age" set to? If you have a 100 day "Storage Age" then "Download all Headers" on a group with 3000 days of headers, 2900 days will be downloaded and then discarded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Kivrin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Quade wrote:Sounds almost like you set the filter to "Accept" instead of "Reject".

And they disappear when I try to look at them.

What's your "storage age" set to? If you have a 100 day "Storage Age" then "Download all Headers" on a group with 3000 days of headers, 2900 days will be downloaded and then discarded.

I thought the same thing about the filter, but I'm not that far gone yet. :)

I have my storage age set to 500 days. Anyway, I found a thread that talked about lagging processing (number in parens) with the super large numbers of headers. At least one of my groups showed up with headers and I'm letting another process and we'll see.

Thanks for the reply.
Kivrin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/16/13

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Make sure you don't "Download all Headers" then. You'll waste TB's of bandwidth.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support