Obfuscated Filenames

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Obfuscated Filenames

Postby samfoley » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm

When I download files, the titles appear as trash characters. The folder has the correct name, but inside the folder, the actual MKV file is misnamed with trash characters. This is tiring to have to go back out, copy the folder name, and then rename each MKV that was downloaded. What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks
Sam Image link not allowed for unregistered users
samfoley
n00b
n00b

Re: Obfuscated Filenames

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:24 am

That's probably how it was posted. I've seen this before. It's a pain in the ass.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby zarlor » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:44 am

If it helps any and if this is for TV shows or Movies then programs like Sick Rage (and other variants of SickBeard) for TV shows and Couch Potato for movies can automatically do the rename of those files for you while also moving them to a centralized location of your choosing for you. That's also really helpful for renaming them in a way that something like Kodi or Plex or other meadia player.conglomerators can easily decipher and load into their database if you like. For music a variant of those programs is available by the name of Headphones, I believe (and there may be others) but I've never used it so I'm not as sure about that one. They take a little bit of work up front to set up but once you've got them configured they make life a LOT easier from then on out. Or you could just script something or see if someone else has a script you could use to do that for you. There is even a setting in Newbin for running a post-unrar script where you could put something like that to do the autorenaming for you, if that helps any.
zarlor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/14/07

Postby samfoley » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks, agreed. A royal pain in the ass. I'll download and try SickRage...
samfoley
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support