Watch list / Filter Profile: fail scenario

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Watch list / Filter Profile: fail scenario

Postby rh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:02 am

So I had a Header Download-Watch List in which I'd chosen the wrong Look in Groups. When I realized that, I thought I'd try this...

Edit the Watch List, choose the correct Look in Groups, right-click Watch List, Re-scan Topic/30 days. Seemed logical but I really didn't know what it was supposed to do.

Loading the Watch List, what I got was far too many posts. Most of which did not match the Filter Profile I had selected for the Watch List.

Easy enough to fix, I just selected the Filter Profile in the results.

My imagination of what Re-scan topic would do: Scan the current Look in Groups as though those headers were being downloaded, apply the Filter Profile, and add the matches to the Watch List. Does that sound right?
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Watch list / Filter Profile: fail scenario

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:44 am

I'd right click "Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts" before you rescan. Make sure you're running 6.73RC2 also.

Try again and see what happens.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Just making sure you understood that this was a "Header Download" Watch List. If I Deleted Stored Posts, there would be nothing to Re-scan. I'll also update to RC2 and try again. Not a big issue since I think I'm migrating to "internet" Watch Lists anyway.

Just wanted to see if my understanding on Watch List Re-scan being essentially like a reprocessing of headers but using Stored Posts - in my example - was accurate.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Just making sure you understood that this was a "Header Download" Watch List. If I Deleted Stored Posts, there would be nothing to Re-scan.

A watch list is like a group. You can purge the records already stored in the watch list too. That's what I'm suggesting.

Rescan on a local watch rescans the headers stored on disk. Rescan on a search based watch resets the "last searched" timer and pulls all the records for the search term that the watch list would pull.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Ok, 6.73RC2 4820 solved that problem - and the related problem of NB intermittently 'not-responding' during that process. Now the re-scan progress is much smoother, ALLOT faster, and works.

..and yes, I misunderstood which records to purge :oops:

THANKS!
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support