Internet Watch List - active/logging?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Internet Watch List - active/logging?

Postby rh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:23 pm

How do I know this is working? I thought I read in a post somewhere that the log would contain an entry when an automatic search was initiated.

Is the timer running always, looking for Active Watch Lists, or do you have to restart NB?

I created an Internet Watch List from an existing Header Download Watch List.

It's Active with only a Filter Profile and Look in Groups specified. Options/Settings/Switches/Search Interval 30 mins.

Nothing happens after an hour. Exited NB, restarted NB. Another hour, nothing.

Help/About shows the search counter has not changed.

Now in only the past two hours I can imagine that nothing new matches my Watch List Filter Profile. But I'm pretty sure I read that Watch List Internet searches decrement even if there were no results.

*update* Now running RC2, no change. Switched on debug logging, nothing there but NZB autoload messages. Remaining search count, unchanged.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Internet Watch List - active/logging?

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 am

[02/19 22:04:50] DEBUG Connection Status: is.newsbin.com SSL Version: TLSv1.0 TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
[02/19 22:04:51] DEBUG Periodic Search <Test> : <> 8 Results 0 Of them were new

I see this in the logs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:21 am

All I see is this...

[02/19 22:07:10] DEBUG NZB Autoload Watch: Original Folder: N:\NZBLoaded\
[02/19 22:07:10] DEBUG NZB Autoload No files to process

So if I've got an Internet Watch List "active" as described above, what else is needed to get NB to fire it?

Scheduler is the only other thing I could find but could not find much about it. Seemed to just be a way to control the connection speed based on day/time.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 am

You understand that internet watch list don't use regular expressions right?

I'd right click "post storage/delete stored posts" on the watch item then right click rescan topic" and see if anything shows up. If nothing shows up for rescan then nothing with show up during periodic.

I'd probably restart Newsbin too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:04 pm

They do if you use a Filter Profile, right? When that was originally hooked up, that's what got me interested in Watch Lists. Before I started trying to figure out this automatic timer thing, I did the "browse" mode search with * and then loading older files a few times. Then, looking at the "Internet" Watch List, I see all the usual matches I'm accustomed to. So the Internet Watch List works. I just can't figure out how to get it to run automatically via the timer.

I have restarted NB a few times.

Even with no results found, the debug log should show the 'attempt', right, like yours? I left it running overnight (set to 60 minutes), the log is empty - aside from the NZB things.

The Options/Settings/Switches/Search Interval setting: Just to make sure I understand its use. It defines the interval at which any "active" Internet Watch Lists searches will be run?
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:42 pm

They do if you use a Filter Profile,

It's multiple layers.

1 - You need a good search term that returns results from the search engine.

2 - You can then further filter with the filter profile.

If you're not getting results with rescan, I'd probably remove the profile and see if you get results without it. Then try adding the profile filter in.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Ok, layers, making a little more sense now.

While testing the regex confusion that's now in a separate topic, I added * in the Search for: field. Previously, I'd left that field empty - assuming that meant EVERYTHING.

Now every 30 minutes I get this...

[02/20 10:28:39] DEBUG Connection Status: is.newsbin.com SSL Version: TLSv1.0 TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA

That's the search indicator - while (I presume) the Periodic search line does not show up unless matches are found.

@ viewtopic.php?f=43&t=41430, Dexter said: "For watch lists, we count for every hit whether results are returned or not."

Since my count was (and still is unchanged) I thought something was still not working.

https://www.newsbin.com/isearchhelp.php. So Internet "Watch List" search follows the same rules as Internet search in regards to the syntax used when specifying what to search for?

* will return everything (within limits) and then the Filter Profile can parse that.

So now I've got * in the Search For: field and in the next 24 hours I'll probably see something. I ran Test Watch @ 10 days and got a few hits even with my Filter Profile.

But to further confuse matters, I just ran a Test Watch on another Watch List whose Search For: is blank. 3 matches out of 8M records. So maybe Search For: can be blank sometimes but if you want the automated timer to work is must have something?
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support