Giganews login failure

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Giganews login failure

Postby sherbaal » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Here's what happens.

I'll fire up Newsbin and it will just sit there. I'll hit the Download the latest updates button for my group that contains 47 newsgroups and groups flash by in the Downloading Files window until a pop up tells me that four times my login failed and there will be four newsgroups left in the download files window that will disappear after about 30 seconds.

I'll then open the group and get another pop up about login failure, maybe 3 this time with 3 different newsgroups sat doing nothing in the Download Files window, they will also disappear after a bit.

So stuff is working except for a few random newsgroups each time I run the program.

I've followed the Giganews recommended steps to solve a login failure but it hasn't helped.

Thanks.
sherbaal
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Giganews login failure

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Sounds like you have too many connections configured. How many are configured and how many does your account permit? The lower tier giganews accounts are capped at a lower connection limit if I remember correctly.

The other alternative is that something else on your PC or router is getting overwhelmed with a bunch of connection requests and is dropping the ball.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support