NNTP Server: Failed to read text line

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NNTP Server: Failed to read text line

Postby pshortjr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 pm

I've been using NewsBin for years and love it. The past week though has me frustrated. I'm getting lots of errors, mostly on Easynews, about Failed to read text line. I've never seen these before, and they only showed around 6/8/17.

I'm also getting a lot of NNTPServer: Compressed Headers - Timeout Waiting for Server to Send Data. Again, haven't had this issue before. This is on EasyNews, Usenet Server, and Giganews.

I tried reducing the Download Age to 1 day, and resetting the group to Use Download Age. No luck.

At this point I'm stumped. I've got almost a week of certain groups that I don't have data for. Thankfully it's the off season for most of my tv shows but still very frustrating.

Any ideas?

Paul
pshortjr
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/27/06

Re: NNTP Server: Failed to read text line

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 am

In the server advanced options I'd disable "XFeatures" restart Newsbin and try some more headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby pshortjr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:53 pm

That helped, but I'm still getting a lot of the Failed to read text line errors. Unfortunately, the Logging screen doesn't tell which groups they're coming from.
pshortjr
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/27/06

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Unfortunately, the Logging screen doesn't tell which groups they're coming from.

It's unlikely to be group specific. My guess is the connection is just dropping out. Might be worth disabling SSL (if you're using it) and see if anything changes with it disabled. If it does change, I'd probably look to your security software and make sure it ignores Newsbin's connections to the news server.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Orion! » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 pm

I've been seeing this error message recently for the first time after using Newsbin for years with various computers and anti virus programs. After reading this thread I excluded Newsbin from within my anti virus program and the problem went away immediately.
Orion!
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 am

've been seeing this error message recently for the first time after using Newsbin for years with various computers and anti virus programs. After reading this thread I excluded Newsbin from within my anti virus program and the problem went away immediately.

Thanks for the feedback. Security software is constantly evolving so something that worked last week might not work this week.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support