Nb Schedule failed to connect newsbin 6.73

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Nb Schedule failed to connect newsbin 6.73

Postby aneurysm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:53 am

hi,

been using newsbin 5.54 with nbschedule for quite some time to auto pause & unpause. But last week I had to upgrade, since after a reboot and some win 7 updates .. my newsbin downloads would start at full speed, drop dead to 0 after a few min, then after 10-20 secs or so back to full speed and so on. Very weird.
Upgraded to 6.73 and the dl problem is fixed, it remains at full speed.
But now nbschedule which I really need (and I've looked into the now built in version ... just not the same functionality for me) can't seem to connect.

in newsbin the remote access is enabled.
in nbschedule i get "failed to communicate with newsbin" .. either with error code 9 or with 414.

anyone have any ideas on what to try ?
aneurysm
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Nb Schedule failed to connect newsbin 6.73

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 am

Newsbin has a scheduler built in these days. I suspect that and API changes are why the external one doesn't work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby aneurysm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:14 am

that's what I thought.
but the built in one goes by the hour .. and I kinda need one to go by the minute (quarters max would be ok)

anyone know what the last v6 build is/was where nbschedule works ?

tnx already for the quick reply btw and the great program of course Image link not allowed for unregistered users
aneurysm
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am

The furthest back you can and maintain full functionality (i.e. access to registration and search) is 6.60. I'd try that one.

Archives are here
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby aneurysm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 am

Tried with 6.60, unfortunately nbschedule failed to communicate here also.
Guess I'll have to adapt.

any possibility that in the near future the integrated scheduler will be expanded with more options ? (for instance so you can just put in specific times yourselves)

tnx
aneurysm
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:59 am

I’ll have a look to see if I can spot why NBSchedule is not working, and if it is an easy fix I’ll produce a new version. Been a while since I looked at the source of NBSchedule so it is likely to take me a few days to work out what is going on (and therefore what is going wrong).

It is a while since I wanted to use it for myself. At the time I produced it there were severe caps on downloading unless you did it overnight so it helped a lot with that.

I am surprised you want a finer granularity than the hour slots provided by the scheduler that is now built into Newsbin! What is the Use case for that requirement?
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby aneurysm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 pm

hey itimpi, tnx for wanting to take a look at it.
I also still have caps on downloading. Technically I have "unlimited" between midnight and 12am. But I've noticed that that ain't 100% correct. I can only download unlimited till around 11:20 or so, anything after that gets counted (probably some latency between when my isp picks it up)

Been playing with the built-in one for the last day, and it's quite ok .. but I'm always very picky. Just loved it that I just had a simple rule to start my download at 0:05. And then in the morning/midday simply decide if I want to pause or continue (I would set a seperate rule to pause newsbin after the dl would complete)
aneurysm
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support