Windows long file name problems

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Windows long file name problems

Postby farmwald » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Sometimes Newsbin auto-creates directories with very long file names, usually of the form <some long string>..<some long string again>.
On some versions of windows you can turn off the long file name limit, but on others it can't be disabled. The long file names are a problem for those versions of windows, causing various of autopar and autorar to fail.
It would be great if Newsbin could implement some method for keeping the names shorter when they get too long.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Windows long file name problems

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 am

Long path support was specifically added in B7 or B8. Truncating the path is what prior versions used to do. It often caused problems and was pretty complicated and error prone.

I'll see if I can find a tool to let you manipulate long paths. They've been supported in all windows versions newer than XP.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby farmwald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:00 am

I'm using an older version of windows server (2012) which doesn't seem to support long file names. Windows 10 and Server 2016 do.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am

I'm using an older version of windows server (2012) which doesn't seem to support long file names. Windows 10 and Server 2016 do.

Win8 (which 2012 is based on) supports it too, just not in explorer. you have to use other tools to manipulate the files. Even Win10 doesn't support it natively.

What's your base download path look like? If it's long you could probably reduce the occurrence by setting it to something short like "D:\DL\"
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support