Problems downloading Newest Headers for certain groups

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problems downloading Newest Headers for certain groups

Postby eclapwannabe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Would upgrading to a 6.80 version build:xxx take care of the problem?

I am currently on Newsbin 121814 Newsbin Pro 6.72 Build:4776

It doesn't happen to all my subscribed newsgroups but certain ones. I was wonder since Astraweb closed down a lot of groups when it switched over from its own server farm to UNS Holdings Server Farms. I was thinking about giving a trial run on some NL servers but I am unable to find a group listing for most of the NL providers. is the only way to pay for these providers (NL) is through Paypal. Not a big fan of theirs. I had some questions on a previous account from them and got squigly squat from them. Rotten customer service as far as I can tell. Is there a US bank that would sell me a visa prepaid card in Euros?

I have had newest header download problems before and the way I found around them was to delete the newsgroup and reload headers. I think that is wasteful now so I am trying to find a more sensible solution.

Not a problem per se but how do I change the email address on my account. I currently have my earthlink.net address as the the "notify me address". I would like notifications sent to my gmail.com address instead.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Problems downloading Newest Headers for certain groups

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:07 am

6.80RC7 doesn't save headers as GZ files anymore so they should be ignored by virus scanners.

I'm not clear where you're having problems. Is it a header download problem, a header import problem or a header database problem.

6.72 is pretty old these days and usenet has changed significantly since it came out. I'd run RC7.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:59 am

Well I upgrade to 6.80RC7 Build: 5054

The problem did not resolve itself so I guess my only other alternative is to delete the group and try reloading headers.

on one particular group it is showing the latest update is 12/9/2017 however if I use the ugly old
X-news it is showing headers as of Tuesday 03/20. My block is about ready to run out of Astraweb and I am going to buy a new Block of 400gb from Cubenet. Astraweb in my opinion is not very good anymore. Supernews sux and Giganews suxs as well.

Okay I deleted the group and I am Re-downloading the headers and in the last updated column the date has changed to 03/21. So there must have been a problem with the download header database. So in the future like this would it be better to go to the data folder and goto the Spool_V6 folder and just delete the contents in the folder and then just restart NBPro764 and it will rebuild the database?
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby eclapwannabe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:11 am

Okay one other little tidbit. I am amazed that after 5 .5+ years of using this program I am learning new things. Even though it was showing that the last update was today's date of 03/21/2018 it still took some time to repopulate. I still was only getting from 2009 post thru 2013 but then I finally clicked on from the Show all post pulled down menu item and it finally showed all the post from 2009-2018. I know from experience with Astraweb the post dated as far back as 2009 is really not there. They have so many holes in their server it is not funny.

Anyway all is hunky dorky on that newsgroup. I will just let the other groups that are showing the last updates as 2017 go until I get the new block from Cubenet.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 am

Keep in mind you you don't need to re-download headers from the news server. AW headers can work on pretty much any other server. Also keep in mind that since AWS isn't really AWS anymore, you might find the server quality has gotten much better.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby eclapwannabe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Unfortunately I have no other source but Astraweb currently.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:12 pm

I mean when you switch.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support