"Per Group" Display Age not working

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

"Per Group" Display Age not working

Postby Savage Dragon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Under Newsbin Options I have my download age, display age, and storage age set to 31 to save time and disk space, but there are certain groups I want to have set to the maximum post retention of my provider.

I went into group properties to set the download age and display age to the maximum and tried downloading all headers again but when I try to display all headers I still only see 31 days worth. Even when I use "Show Posts Special" I still only get 31 days. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

I am currently using 6.80, build 5058

Thanks!
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Re: "Per Group" Display Age not working

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 am

I went into group properties to set the download age and display age to the maximum and tried downloading all headers again but when I try to display all headers I still only see 31 days worth.

Changing the age range doesn't make the headers magically appear. If you already had the group headers filtered down to 31 day, you're going to have to re-download the last 5 years worth of headers if you now want to see them.

It doesn't look like "storage age" is a "per group" option, so you're going to have to set it to 3000 days too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Savage Dragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Isn't that what the "Use Header Download Age" checkbox under group properties is for? To specify a download age for the group?

Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:06 pm

"Download Age" applies the first time you visit the group or after you reset it.

"Storage Age" controls how many days of headers are stored on disk.

You can reset the group without deleting existing headers by right clicking the group "Post Storage/Use Download Age".

If you have a 2000 day download age but your storage age is 30. You can download 2000 days worth of headers but "Storage Age" will then purge them down to 30 days. That's why you set "Storage age" to the max you want to go back in time. Then the "Download Age" can be applied after the reset to re-download headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Savage Dragon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support