Newsbin seems to download - nothing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin seems to download - nothing

Postby dane » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:09 am

Good morning fellas

Weird circumstance - the other day, I mistakenly d/led all headers from a large group. The process broke in the middle, but nb seemed to continue to work well.

After a windows 10 (64 bit) update, after a seemingly routine start to nb, I downloaded headers from my usual groups. The d/l tab seemed to be working fine - progress bars and all, but the groups tab showed no headers. Clicking on show all headers displayed empty tabs for each of the groups. I checked to see if some filter or another were set, but it was plain vanilla.

I uninstalled nb and reinstalled 6.82b1 and was presented with the usual assortment of groups. Restarted my computer and nb and downloaded a few groups - nothing. For one of the multimedia.automotive groups, d/led 500,000 older posts - nothing. I checked my credentials with my usenet server and they appear to be ok.

Any ideas? I mention the windows update - maybe someone else is having trouble after a recent update, but I don't think the two are related.
Any help greatly appreciate,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Newsbin seems to download - nothing

Postby Quade » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 am

You probably flooded the "Import" folder with headers after downloading a bunch of headers from that group. If you want to clean it out, use the "Open DataFolder" button then delete the files in there associated with the group you downloaded by mistake. That should let the other headers process. Or you could leave it running and eventually it'll clear out the backlog of headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Newsbin seems to download - nothing

Postby dane » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Quade - yup, mopped up the flood and things started to fill in. Had to restore a few things (old nbi and filters files) but pretty much back to normal now. Whew!

Thanks again,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Return to V6 Technical Support