Is there a way to Limit Database size?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Is there a way to Limit Database size?

Postby Lurker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:27 am

Just wondering if there is a way to limit the database size? I was just looking at my spool_v6 directories and some are like 135GB :shock: . So I was wondering if there is a way to (regardless of the setting for post storage) to set individual group databases to have a max size limit? So if I set it to 50GB for a group it's database size will never exceed that value.
Lurker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/09

Re: Is there a way to Limit Database size?

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:28 pm

The "Storage Age" is a setting that controls how many days worth of records are kept. You could reduce the storage age, update all the groups, then right click the group and "Post Storage/Compact Groups" the reason you have to update after changing the "Storage Age" is that it's the update that tags old records as "Old".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Lurker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:21 pm

I gave what you suggested a try, but didn't let it finish. I guess it was tagging stuff but after letting it go 5 hours and it not even processing the stuff in the import folder I figured it was enough. I still didn't even try compact yet but I figure that would have taken even more hours. So I just unsubscribed from the groups and had NB delete all the data. I guess trying to flag 1000 days worth of spam posts in most of these 100+GB groups would do that, but it just wasn't worth keeping around even 200 days worth for the time it was taking. :)

BTW, I can set the a groups download to be 1 day, but is there a way to set it smaller than a day like say a fraction of a day (like .25 for the last 6 hours)?
Lurker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/09

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Yeah, this is the kind of thing you do when Newsbin is idling, not importing headers and doing deletes at the same time. Each group is in a different database file so, you could just do one or a couple groups at a time.

1 day is as granular as it gets.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support