NB pro 6.82 performance issues

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NB pro 6.82 performance issues

Postby MiHa0815 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi there,
i have also some issues with display update pending, long stops between download and unrar and some others.
suggestions:
1. if there was a password added to the list by loading a nzb-file, this password should be deleted from passwordlist after the download finished
and if you map a password to a download, you are faster in unrar because you must not try every password in the list for the download which should be unrar
2. file-list and fail-list should be cleared when newsbin is closed and no download is active (properly configurable)
3. the chunks directory should also be cleard when newsbin closed and no download is active

i think this could help very much to reduce the performance problems
MiHa0815
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/01/06

Re: NB pro 6.82 performance issues

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:56 am

1 - Password processing will change before the next release. Passwords supplied with the NZB won't be added to the password list at all. Instead they'll just be associated with the download. The password list will still exist but I anticipate it won't see much use after the change.

2 - Most people seem to prefer a persistent failed and files list. That said there are two settings that control this. If you add them to the configuration file and set them to 0 it shouldn't save either list on exit.

[Settings]
SaveFilesList = 0/1
SaveFailedList = 0/1

You can also set them in the advanced options tab.

3 - Most of the chunks are deleted when each file downloads. I keep one around per file for tracking but it's deleted within 2 days automatically.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quentin » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:06 pm

I have huge performance issues, too. Not with passwords, but with the whole application. I am a long time user since ages and these problems started in the last year. In-between I also upgraded my whole PC to a modern system (Ryzen 5, 64GB RAM, M2.SSD) - and still I have the same behaviour: I try to download from a NZB, and even adding it hangs the application for minutes. It becomes completely unresponsive. Open the entry to see its files does the same. All of the time I am welcomed by "Display Update Pending" entries that take minutes. In the meantime, no download takes place. A download that would be done in 4 minutes with my network speed take up to 1 hour (10+ minutes to start, drop to 0 every several files and so on). I once tried to deinstall NB pro, delete all folders and reinstall - this sped things up a bit (but not completely), but after a few weeks I am back to the same behaviour. This never occured to me with the "old" versions more than 1-2 years ago. Does anybody have any idea what I can do?
Quentin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/09

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:01 am

Tell me about your server setup, how many servers and how many connections.

You've already done what I was going to suggest which was do a clean sweep. As an experiment, you can "open data folder" from the options, exit Newsbin then delete all the DB3 files you find there. I'd delete "Rarpasswords.txt" too while you're at it. Then see if your performance come back.

Deleting the DB3 files will clean out the download, failed and wish lists. It'll wipe the files list too as well as the dup-tracker.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quentin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 am

Hi Quade.

Thank you for taking time to help. I've done what you said and all problems are gone immediately. Seems either the rarpasswords or the DB3 files were the root cause. Thank you. I'll keep an eye on it, at least I have a backup plan if the issues come back.
Quentin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/09

Return to V6 Technical Support