“There was a problem sending the command to the program”

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Postby hollywood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:53 am

Something happened to my system, either a Newsbin update, Windows update, Agent install/uninstall, but for the first time ever using Newbin, I’m getting this error when triggering .nzb links from external browsers and hoping to start a Newsbin download:

Doesn't seem to matter where the .nzb file is coming from, or which browser is used (Chrome, Edge, Mozilla, nzbindex, etc.).

If I download a .nzb link to disk and trigger it from there, it works sometimes to start a Newsbin download, but not often.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Searching Google, this error appears in other programs with Windows (W7 64bit in my case), but I can’t find anyone suffering with .nzb links

I’ve scratched my head on everything, resetting associations, turning off Windows Defender, uninstalling and reinstalling Newsbin (different versions too), but nothing works.

Anyone?
hollywood
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: “There was a problem sending the command to the program”

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:28 am

Maybe Microsoft it punishing you for sticking with Win7...

1 - As an experiment, it might be interesting to hook NZB's to invoke wordpad instead of Newsbin and see if that works or errors.
2 - It might be interesting to start Newsbin manually, leave it running and then try invoking the NZB.

Being in Win7, you're kind of an outlier these days.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hollywood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Quade wrote:Maybe Microsoft it punishing you for sticking with Win7...

1 - As an experiment, it might be interesting to hook NZB's to invoke wordpad instead of Newsbin and see if that works or errors.
2 - It might be interesting to start Newsbin manually, leave it running and then try invoking the NZB.

Being in Win7, you're kind of an outlier these days.

haha, funny guy. I like 7 Image link not allowed for unregistered users
#2 first: I’ve tried leaving it open, and then linking, same problem.
I’ll try #1 next, but I feel it’s a recent Windows update, OR, any chance port assignment or security flag was changed somehow? I would have though uninstalling and reinstalling Newsbin would have fixed it, but nope.
hollywood
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:44 pm

The way Newsbin invokes an NZB is different between it running and starting from not running. I was wondering if it would work in one mode but not the other. When it's not running, the NZB should come from the command line. When it is running, Newsbin is invoked, then it passes the NZB Filename to the already running instance and then exits.

The fact you're getting a Windows error suggests it's a windows problem. The "tell" will be whether it works with wordpad or not. If Wordpad works then it might be a permissions problem with Newsbin. Like it was installed by a different user than your current user. If Wordpad doesn't work, then it's some issue with your PC.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hollywood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Quade wrote:The way Newsbin invokes an NZB is different between it running and starting from not running. I was wondering if it would work in one mode but not the other. When it's not running, the NZB should come from the command line. When it is running, Newsbin is invoked, then it passes the NZB Filename to the already running instance and then exits.

The fact you're getting a Windows error suggests it's a windows problem. The "tell" will be whether it works with wordpad or not. If Wordpad works then it might be a permissions problem with Newsbin. Like it was installed by a different user than your current user. If Wordpad doesn't work, then it's some issue with your PC.

OK, did some cleanup with regedit, and Newsbin will open and begin downloading if the .nzb is triggered from a saved-on-disc file, WITHOUT the evil warning.

However, if triggered from a browser, the browser (depending on which one) will open a "save file as" requester, and after saving the .nzb, opens Newsbin, but also throws up that warning, and does NOT download the .nzb's file.

When triggering Notepad - exactly the same results: if from a saved nzb, Notepad opens, no warning, and nzb's contents are displayed.
if from a browser link, then Notepad opens, EMPTY, and the warning is thrown up: "there was a problem sending the command to the program"

UPDATE: OK, instead of using Total Commander to make associations, I resorted to Windows Control Panel method. Turns out Newsbin wasn't called Newsbin64Pro in the old days, and Windows wanted to see the old Newsbin name. Fixed that - problem seems to be gone. Thanks for helping to narrow it down
hollywood
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support