Disable double click download for multiple selected?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Disable double click download for multiple selected?

Postby Lurker » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:38 am

Quick question, is there a way to disable the auto download on double left mouse click if multiple files are selected? I want to have to specifically right-click and select "download" if more than one item is selected.

Every now and then it seems my mouse registers 2 clicks instead of 1. Normally that isn't an issue since it doesn't happen all that often but when I was cleaning out a group that got spammed by one of those bots posting tiny 800k files by selecting them and shift + del the posts, it happened. So newsbin happily started downloading them and by the time I could stop it, it had downloaded quite a large number of them so I just am looking for a way to prevent that.
Lurker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/12/09

Re: Disable double click download for multiple selected?

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:05 am

Typically it's impossible to double-click on multiple selections because the first click will de-select the other items. Your mouse would have to register two clicks faster than a human can possibly do it.

That said, I wrote a note to look into preventing it even in this case.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 pm

Search led me here. It's certainly an odd request and maybe I should just update my mouse. But my mouse has aged to the point that it registers double-clicks when I only click once - randomly of course. Granted that presents problems in other apps too but in NB it will start actions I can't revert from. There are even more rare moments when my finger just refuses to click once. The signal from the brain to finger gets corrupted :lol:

My use of NB never involves double-clicking so disabling for NB alone would be fine for me. I'd even settle for a config file only setting.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:14 pm

I double-click everything in Newsbin. I can't think of a single thing you start with a double-click you can't easily cancel. Deleting header downloads you started is completely safe.

Want to give me an example? What irreversible things are you triggering by double-clicking?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 pm

I was expanding GOG's and accidentally got a double-click when I clicked too far away from the + which reset the download last date in ALL the groups inside. But yeah, the download was easy enough to cancel. But undoing the last updated date I assume is not possible. Admittedly, I use Watch Topic 99% of the time now so that particular event wasn't as much of a problem as it might have been a few years ago.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Return to V6 Technical Support