Possible to merge download͟e͟d.db3 files?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Possible to merge download͟e͟d.db3 files?

Postby etete » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:32 pm

I searched out a couple older threads that discussed merging the downloads.db3 files. Since it's been a while and my interest is actually with the downloaded.db3 databases I'm curious if there is a currently recommended way to accomplish this? Have well over a decade of download records in one db and a year or two on the other. Hoping to consolidate.

Regards. ;-)
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/19/12

Re: Possible to merge download͟e͟d.db3 files?

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:37 pm

Downloaded.db3 has been deprecated in 6.90 and newer. The data is now stored in the downloadsv2.db3.

You do know that downloaded.db3 was self-purging and would only contain no more than 4000 entries right?

As for your question, it's possible to do it with sqlite3.exe. By loading the main DB then attaching the other DB. Then using some queries to insert the data from the attached DB to the other DB.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby etete » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Much appreciate the reply Quade.

Ha! You caught me off guard, had me thinking for a moment my v6.82 was missing a couple updates. As an self professed alpha not a beta I guess I'm on track.

Now I'm really surprised Newsbin catches so many duplicates. Pretty sure I'd have eclipsed the 4000 entries in the decade+ of use.

Sqlite3 you say? I still pull out DOS for Dummies to learn what command prompt is. I jest (only a little :wink: ) but always find learning something new to be interesting so will look into it. Guess it would be best to get it done prior to the DB changeover (v6.9*).

One last thing if I may. I seem to recall Newsbin, years ago, providing the opportunity to add a download paused. I'm probably confusing this with another app but it would be a very useful add.

Regards, :D
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Now I'm really surprised Newsbin catches so many duplicates. Pretty sure I'd have eclipsed the 4000 entries in the decade+ of use.

That's because the duplicate detection signatures are in "Signature.db3 which doesn't purge. The signatures are pretty small so, even a large number of files are still decently quick.

There are graphical tools to manipulate sqlite DB's. It's probably the most popular and commonly used DB in the world today. I even noticed Microsoft was using it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby etete » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks again Quade.

At the risk of beating a dead horse -- Just to be 110% sure -- "Signature.db3" is record of files previously downloaded thus those that would be kicked to the failed files list as duplicate detected?

I expect this db can be merged same as earlier suggestion so I'll get cracking on the SQLite. A nice plus is SQLite looks to be portable and it seems associated graphical interfaces offer the same (e.g. DB Browser).

Regards!
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Yes. It's probably the oldest DB file in use in Newsbin. If I had it to do over, I would. Who knows maybe sometime I'll implement an upgrade into a better format.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support