Storage.db INI Settings

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Storage.db INI Settings

Postby mjpierce » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:16 am

Am I recalling correctly that there are some newsbin.ini settings that make header storage.db writes faster but less safe?
Particularly, no creation of temporary files during header import and/or "Add to Custom List" operations.

No matter what combination of keywords I search on I cannot seem to find this information.
I could be wrong of course.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/06

Re: Storage.db INI Settings

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Not sure that's a thing anymore. The current betas multi-thread the import so it should be faster.

If you find some groups that are really slow to import, you should consider whether they have any usable files anymore and delete them if they don't. Some of the new posting methods are NZB Only meaning the groups are full of unusable by headers, garbage. If there's a mix of garbage and good stuff, you might want to setup a filter to toss away the garbage at the header import level. Before it hits the database.

One way to tell is if you look in the group, disable any size filters and see if there's a flood of single random posts that don't combine into files. They'll range from 350-700K. The fact they don't combine into files is the "tell".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Storage.db INI Settings

Postby mjpierce » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks. Actually I was trying to reduce the total number of writes to disk without regard to speed or safety. I have need of running Newsbin with the spool on a usb stick from time to time and wanted to be as gentle on the stick as possible.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/06

Return to V6 Technical Support