Failed Files Error field

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Failed Files Error field

Postby jazzman4x » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:49 am

On the Failed Files tab it would be nice if every item had the Error field populated. Some say "Duplicate Detected" which is great, but then many just have the field blank. Some of those I have been able to re-run the download, and others I have not.
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/04/09

Re: Failed Files Error field

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:22 pm

Sure I can look into it. There's really only three errors I imagine.

1 - Duplicate Files

2 - Got to the end of the download and couldn't validate.

3 - Over 10% of the files failed to download. Ie 430 errors from files removed from the server.

Sometimes files will end up in failed but still unrar. That's a situation where you have a RAR set and no PARS to check the file. So the download wasn't able to validate the state but the unrar code was still able to decode the file without checking. I'm seeing more parless downloads these days.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jazzman4x » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:02 pm

Here is an example;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YH_kVbc6zYFrYejTr66vjJk1u0KijKNE/view?usp=sharing

It's a bit hard to relate these failures to the Logging tab as I leave NB running automated and only check on it every so often. Don't really know when the download was attempted to relate it to the timestamp in the log.

I think the two files that are "< 1KB" are the "FileAssemblerThread" errors on the logging tab. I can ignore those visually based on size if needed. I suppose that would men the two larger files generated the series of DecodeException messages. But, I was able to right-click those and "Download" them again successfully.

This is my main concern. Over the 14 or so years I've been using NB, I got into the habit that it was pretty stable and just retrying unsuccessful downloads would not result in a different outcome. I'm seeing now that I probably have been Clearing some failed downloads that could have been successfully re-downloaded. Having some way of knowing (color coding?) failed downloads that are worth re-attempting is I guess what I'm after. Capturing the FileAssembler or DecodeException back on the Failed tab would be a start as in a larger log weeding through that is harder than it needs to be.
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby jazzman4x » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:09 pm

Sorry, I can't see how to easily embed images in posts here.

Here is the logging tab;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GFRDV32UHDcnZpt1KyJbyOfZlB3DK64O/view?usp=drive_link
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:49 pm

The really small ones probably aren't files so Newsbin fails them by default.

Are sure the larger files aren't encrypted? You'd see errors like that if the files is encrypted but there's no password in Newsbin for them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jazzman4x » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:05 pm

Quade wrote:Are sure the larger files aren't encrypted?

Not encrypted. I've been able to right-click to Download them again and they download and UnRAR fine.

Perhaps its a timing thing like all the par2s aren't uploaded yet? Or perhaps one of the downloaded files is corrupted, but I have a fiber internet connection so I doubt it's data corruption. It maybe happens for 1 or 2 of 100 downloads, but as I say I've only noticed in the past month that I can rerun some of those successfully. I can try to look more into seeing what file part or chunk in the group of files for the download caused the failure.

Now that I know this behavior I can deal with it. I was just pointing out it might be good when writing to the failure log to not have a null error reason.
jazzman4x
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support