PAR repair only using 12% of CPu

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

PAR repair only using 12% of CPu

Postby JeremyG » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:32 am

Any reason that newsbin uses so little CPU when repairing a PAR set? I have a 24-thread CPU and 7000 MB/s NVME....I would think should be able to rebuild a PAR set on a 30GB file in seconds...but in Newsbin it takes MINUTES.
JeremyG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: PAR repair only using 12% of CPu

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:43 pm

The time to repair depends on the level of damage. The more damage the more time it takes.

When you start Newsbin look in the log. Does it say multi or single threaded repair? It should be using all cores minus one.

Is it a true 24 core or a 12 core with hyperthreading?

Repair requires that the files be chopped up into virtual slices and then the code calculates over the slices so it can regenerate missing data. The more missing data, the slower this process is.

How much are you repairing? Repair should be pretty rare.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby JeremyG » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:57 pm

Actually I'm not 100% sure how much of it was a repair (yes repairs are very rare these days) and the unrar. I just dont understand why it would use so little CPU.
(12-core, hyperthread)

I didnt retain the RAR to re-build/unrar outside of Newsbin so I cannot say for sure if it would really be faster. But seems like it should be.

Also, this is REALLY not a big deal at all. Overall i love newsbin and no complaints, I think it more reported this in case it was something that would benefit the product.
JeremyG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:02 am

It should be using almost all cores. That's why I was wondering what the startup logging was saying. The repair is heavily dependent on disk IO too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support