Locking out two posters at once puts Newsbin in loop

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Locking out two posters at once puts Newsbin in loop

Postby Bismark » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm

I found two posters I wanted to lock out, so I selected both and did a right click lockout poster. After half an hour Newsbin was still working on it. I have tried this three times and same results. When I lock out one poster at a time no problem. This news group has about 8000 posts and I have lots of posters locked out. I am running Build 3311. Not a big issue as I now know the work around.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Re: Locking out two posters at once puts Newsbin in loop

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Should have been instantaneous. I'll look.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Bismark » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi,
It is never instantaneous. It usually takes about two minutes. I have about 4000 locked out posters. If there were a date a poster was locked out, I would delete the very old ones.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 am

With that many posters, I'll bet every aspect of using Newsbin, except the download, is annoyingly slow.

As an experiment, how about exiting Newsbin, then moving the poster file out of the data folder, then run Newsbin and see how it works doing your normal things. I'll bet it's a bunch faster. Then exit and move it back in to restore it. I'm not saying this is the problem. I don't know. I'll have go figure some way to reproduce it. I am saying that with each poster you add, your performance will decrease. That's just a given.

6.6 isn't hanging so, I'm going to work under the assumption this is related to the number of locked posters and see if I can make 6.60 hang.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Bismark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Boy did that make a difference! I'm just going to start a new list. I also added five posters at one time and it was very quick.The old list contains entries since I first got Newsbin.

Perhaps you could add a date entered into a future version of the file. Also, if you are going to make changes to processing locked out posters, perhaps there could be an option to delete the entries when you see they are locked.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Bismark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:13 pm

One more request relative to poster lockout:

Can you please remember the position of the cursor when the lockout was requested? i.e. set the cursor to the item above the first locked out item. When i am going through posts and lockout someone, I want to continue from where I was.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support