Pane/Window Layout

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Pane/Window Layout

Postby Zach » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm

At least up until v.6.42, I was able to manually move the header panes into their own window group so I would have Search and Group Lists in quadrant 2, headers in quadrant 1, and all the rest spanning quadrants 3 and 4:

Code: Select all
+---------------+------------+
| Search/Groups | Headers    |
+---------------+------------+
| Files/Logging/Servers/Etc. |
-----------------------------+

(In the headers window group, a tab would exist for each group or GoG I did the "Show Posts" on.)

Somehow, Newsbin always remembered this layout in that even after I restarted Newsbin and no headers list was being shown, the new "Headers" window group would auto-create itself once I viewed any headers.

So sometime between v.6.42 and v.6.55 (RC1), this functionally seemed to go away. Each and every time I restart Newsbin, I have to recreate my preferred layout, even with the "Lock Display" enabled. Is this intentional, or am I just doing something wrong?

Edit: BTW, this is on a fresh install on my new computer, and I think I have already deleted the old GuiItems.db3 file (on my old system), so I can't restore that if that's going to be the suggestion. :(
Zach
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/07/04

Re: Pane/Window Layout

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:01 pm

It's probably the search tab. The posts lists anchor off the search tab. If you left the search tab in the top right tab area it would probably work. I have my groups top left and set them to auto-hide so, they only show up when I dwell over the groups tab on the left.

I'll have to try it too and see if I can make the posts list go there. I think they go to any tab group that has the search tab in it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Zach » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 am

Well, you would know how your code is coded (obviously :D), but I'm pretty certain my groups list and search tab were in the same parent window always, and a new window would open (auto-create itself) whenever I viewed any headers. When first launched and there were no headers, it would fill the entire top half like so:

Code: Select all
+----------------------------+
| Search/Groups              |
+----------------------------+
| Files/Logging/Servers/Etc. |
-----------------------------+

I recall when you guys first introduced your Search service, one of the side-effects was that the "Search" window/pane always had to exist, i.e., one couldn't delete it. (That restriction may not be the case anymore after all this time, but regardless, that's why I just kept it tucked away with the group list since I knew I would never remove that. :))

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I'll keep messing around with it and also try to find some backup I might have made of my GuiItems.db3 file. If nothing works, your auto-hide suggestion isn't a bad one. 8)
Zach
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:44 am

I haven't messed with the GUI code much recently. It's showing its age and really needs to be replaced with something more modern. I'm thinking about making that effort after 6.60 comes out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Zach » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:49 am

As an update, I must have just been having a mental block forgetting that visual detail of my former layout, but as you said, when I pulled the Search window out to its own slot, that's where the header panes popped up, and the layout was saved between runs. :)

As far as the look and your last comment, please know that I am in no way unhappy with its current state. It's actually quite nice and very functional. But if you have fun doing it, then by all means! 8)
Zach
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support