Light vs. Dark Theme in Windows 10

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Light vs. Dark Theme in Windows 10

Postby grantboucher » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:55 am

With the new October release of Windows 10 due out shortly, one of the major visual changes is that Explorer (like many UWP apps) now finally supports the Dark Theme setting option in the OS. This, of course, is for people who want to minimize the eyestrain of staring at lots of bright white windows all the time. For me, it's a godsend.

I noticed that when using the "Windows Native" option of View/Application Look, it does not seem to pay any attention to this OS level Theme choice. While you've done an awesome job of keeping things grey and minimizing big white spaces, is there any way we can force the amazing Newsbin to conform to the Dark Theme color scheme (or edit the colors ourselves?) or do I need to make this a polite feature request because only you gentlemen can make this change in Newsbin's theme colors (via a new option in Application Look, I presume)?

Thanks for taking a look at this. As always, you're the best! :)
grantboucher
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/10/03

Re: Light vs. Dark Theme in Windows 10

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:29 pm

It'll probably require a completely new GUI to do this. Newsbin's GUI pre-dates WPF and UWP. I'm already looking into it. Practicing WPF techiniques with some simpler applications.

It'll make high DPI display scaling work too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby kirm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 am

You know what, I would love to have this feature being a fan of Dark theme, really helps these old eyes out, especially at night time. It would be superb if you guys could pull this off.

Been some time since a user interface change, this should be a priority. Thanks for hearing me out.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby grantboucher » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Quade wrote:It'll probably require a completely new GUI to do this. Newsbin's GUI pre-dates WPF and UWP. I'm already looking into it. Practicing WPF techiniques with some simpler applications.

It'll make high DPI display scaling work too.

Ah, I was hoping you could just have an alternate color scheme, so it wouldn't be a lot of work.

But given that, high DPI scaling, etc. would indeed be awesome. While Newsbin is still oh so pretty and oh so polished, I definitely agree that bringing it in line with the new MS OS trends (which are looking very sexy indeed these days) would be worthwhile.

Hell, even MS is updating Office's GUI to bring it in line with the new paradigm (check out this week's Office Insider releases). So, that surely means the tide has turned on this one. :)

Thanks for hearing my request. I look forward to the betas!
grantboucher
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/10/03

Postby Rampa » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 am

kirm wrote:You know what, I would love to have this feature being a fan of Dark theme, really helps these old eyes out, especially at night time. It would be superb if you guys could pull this off.

Been some time since a user interface change, this should be a priority. Thanks for hearing me out.

+1
Rampa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/08

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support