AutoPAR window needed?

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

AutoPAR window needed?

Postby davidn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:36 pm

I just downloaded three DVDs. I downloaded as they were being posted. Since the files were incomplete I downloaded just the RARs that were complete and kept updating and downloading. I did download the PAR2 file first on all three. When all the RARs were downloaded NewsBin extracted and deleted the RARs.

My problem is there was no indication in NewsBin 6 that it was doing anything AutoPAR related. It did what I wanted but I like to see what is going on. In NewsBin 5 the AutoPAR window would show the progress.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Re: AutoPAR window needed?

Postby richy99 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

in the download list yellow - repair and green - extracting

this is mentioned in the release note
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby davidn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 am

richy99 wrote:in the download list yellow - repair and green - extracting

this is mentioned in the release note

Yes, it was. The problem is there is nothing in the download list to keep track of if I don't use compact mode. I did watch and the last RAR I needed downloaded and then the status was yellow. The size indicator also changed as it extracted. If you read my post you can see I need something to keep track of the status of the downloads. The AutoPAR window did keep track as I was downloading single RARs that's why I asked for it.

Seems like everything is tied to compact mode in the new version. Please consider that sometimes users still download a RAR at a time.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

I can't speak for the developers, but the compact system keeps things neater and more hands-off, so it sort of throws me when someone says they want to manually manage all the BS associated with grabbing pars, repairing and extracting. Of course, you bought the application, you can do what you want with it, but I'm curious what aspect of autopar don't you like? Keep in mind that this is a beta, so some things aren't working 100%. For example, right now some scenarios leave posts just sitting there, you need to assemble incompletes, it doesn't handle encrypted rars terribly elegantly, etc. On the assumption things like that get addressed, what would you like fixed to make it more appealing?

If your answer is 'to help fix up botched downloads', I agree. I'd currently like less downloads you need to interfere with, and when they do come up, not requiring too many clicks to fix. I do find, however, that the compact system allows for a lot less fiddling overall, plus actually makes managing local spools practical again. I wouldn't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater!

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby davidn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:22 am

I do like AutoPAR. I don't think I said anywhere that I don't like it. I know how to do the manual thing and could turn off AutoPAR I suppose. As it is now it works but is not obvious. I download a lot of things based on other forums. I download many things as they are being posted. Some things I just use NZB and have no problems if everything has been posted. This is a habit developed over many many years of downloading from the usenet.

All I'm asking for is some indication of what NewsBin AutoPAR is doing with the things I'm downloading. I don't want to use another program like QuickPAR to see satus along side NewsBin.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby richy99 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 am

what sort of status do you need?

currently (not ideal i know but) if it is still in the list after it has finished it can be deduced it is incomplete

if it is gone from the list it has extracted, i guess i just add stuff and let it do its job and then check later rather than check the continual progress of things, but you can see if it is repairing or extracting from the download list by the colour of the progress bar, the colour change is there to give you feedback on what autopar is doing
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby KilJaden » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am

davidn wrote:All I'm asking for is some indication of what NewsBin AutoPAR is doing with the things I'm downloading. I don't want to use another program like QuickPAR to see satus along side NewsBin.

The fact is you don't need it simply because it's already displayed via colors, so just by looking at what color you're download has you know what it's doing , also right clikcking on any set brings up a QuickPAR like window which displays the same info the old AutoPar tab had.

Code: Select all
AutoPAR tab is gone, function now is performed in the Download tab. Has color coded progress:
Blue = Download
Green = UnRAR
Yellow = Repair
KilJaden
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/09

Postby DThor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:35 am

Are you referring to a post that doesn't compact properly? If so, I see your point. The majority of par/rar sets do, for me, but yeah I guess feedback is less for 'oddball' posts.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby davidn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 am

DThor wrote:Are you referring to a post that doesn't compact properly? If so, I see your point. The majority of par/rar sets do, for me, but yeah I guess feedback is less for 'oddball' posts.

DT

One was like that. The poster did something and the RARs didn't compact. They all were in the process of being posted. I don't think that is 'odball'. NewsBin did the AutoPAR thing but I would like to know the STATUS of the AutoPAR.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby itimpi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 am

davidn wrote:
DThor wrote:Are you referring to a post that doesn't compact properly? If so, I see your point. The majority of par/rar sets do, for me, but yeah I guess feedback is less for 'oddball' posts.

DT

One was like that. The poster did something and the RARs didn't compact. They all were in the process of being posted. I don't think that is 'odball'.

There has been discussion for selecting posts from the Download list to be manually compacted into a single entry. I do not know what Quade's latest thinking is in this area, but if it was available do you think it would it solve your issues?
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby davidn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 am

itimpi wrote:
davidn wrote:

DT

One was like that. The poster did something and the RARs didn't compact. They all were in the process of being posted. I don't think that is 'odball'.

There has been discussion for selecting posts from the Download list to be manually compacted into a single entry. I do not know what Quade's latest thinking is in this area, but if it was available do you think it would it solve your issues?

I have no idea what you are asking. I think there should be some indication what the AutoPAR status is. Does compacting something that is not complete accomplish that?
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 am

Autopar will still repair and assemble if the files aren't compacted together but, there's no visual feedback. Been thinking about that too.

If it's compacted together, the files and the pars, then you'll get the normal "download/repair/unrar" feedback that compacted items get.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby davidn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Quade.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Mastermind » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:31 am

itimpi wrote:There has been discussion for selecting posts from the Download list to be manually compacted into a single entry. I do not know what Quade's latest thinking is in this area, but if it was available do you think it would it solve your issues?

I like this idea. :D
I think it's also possible und usefull for the postlists.
Mastermind
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/15/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support