loving V6 Beta

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

loving V6 Beta

Postby kamakazi downloader » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 am

I've been reading the posts of folks reporting all the various problems/bugs and got to say it hasn't been that way for me at all since D/L the v6 beta. I've D/L'd huge amount of gigs since install with NO probs of any sort. movies, TV series, music.... it doesn't matter. All this while also surfing the net/visiting sites, playing games or watching movies, banking or working on my own website's pages. I have 'customized' V6.beta to an extent also, using the options tab(minor adjustments only just to keep my operating system HD clean) I know theres going to be a few bugs here and there but I haven't seen anything like most of the reports. I have a relatively simple machine compared to many descriptions I see here,

AMD athlon 64 x2 Dualcore 6000+ 3.01GHz
2G ram
windows 7 32bit OS on an 80gig HD ......with a 500G HD that is where I direct all D/L activity from Newsbin or any other source.
The 'programs only' HD stays clean this way for me.
Maybe my requirements aren't as esoteric or exotic ? I don't know, but I DO know I am loving the V6.Beta.....

sorry to hear so many having so much probs, but it also seems the folks in charge of everything are doing their best to address it all, big or small, and I personally think you people have done a damn fine job!
kamakazi downloader
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/07

Re: loving V6 Beta

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for the kind words.

To me, it's sort of typical beta complaints. The reason we do the beta's is to uncover these problems so, there's a plus side to the problem reports.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Streetwolf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 pm

For a beta, v6 is working out very well for me. Took a little 'playing' around to get comfortable with all the new stuff.

Job well down Quade and all the Alpha testers too.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/03

Postby kamakazi downloader » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 am

Quade wrote:Thanks for the kind words.

To me, it's sort of typical beta complaints. The reason we do the beta's is to uncover these problems so, there's a plus side to the problem reports.

Very true, Quade... I am not disparaging the comments of those more seasoned users than me, as I know there MUST be loads of folks out there who use it to do so many more things than I. They are a definitely useful part of refining it to bring a polished final result into being and the interaction here of all the users worldwide is simply grand. I am still on my 'learning curve' but maybe when 'I grow up' (62 yrs young) I can be able to do as much as some of you more savvy folks! lol
kamakazi downloader
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DogSnake » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Toss my "Like It A Lot" hat into the ring. Only possible issue is I went from 3 connections to 10 to max out my speed consistently. I need to play with this a bit more,, before saying anything else about it. Thanks for another great iteration of the software.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Postby richy99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm

connection wise you shouoldnt need to increase them , i can max out the same number as i did with 5
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby kalone » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Quade once told me "you just don't like change" but this change is great! No real problems, other than the typical adjustments that you would expect with the operating difference in this beta.
kalone
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/26/03

Postby DogSnake » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:16 am

Checked the connections needed to max the download speed and I do now need 10 where before I needed 3. Next step is to reload Ver. 5 and check same files same group.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby kamakazi downloader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 am

I've had mine set at 8 connections for quite a few versions now and that seems to work well with V6 also. But I guess the number of connections is also related to the size/strength of your computer and the type of connection to the internet (ie; dial-up, dsl. fiber optic, etc)
kamakazi downloader
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 am

I've certainly not seen a change needed for number of connections, however keep in mind that download speeds in the open beta can be compromised by autopar patching and extraction happening simultaneously. Quade knows about this and is mulling over options for those with hardware this happens on. Currently with a later internal beta, I'm seeing no hit at all, however I'm running a somewhat juicy machine so it may not be the best testbed.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby DogSnake » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm

I do not think it is the "machine" as mine is also "juicy". Charter (my isp) recently upped the speeds from 16 to 20 megs. The only way for me to really check this out is to use V5 in the same group on the same files. I had not used NB V5 at the new speeds. Also I have had the cable modem replaced. So there are a few considerations for me to look at.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby richy99 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:04 pm

well if the only change was moving to v6 then i woudl say it woudl be newsbbin or the isp but you have also changed the modem, it might need tweaking or making sure the power levels are right as it seems the latency has increased aswell
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby DogSnake » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 pm

So being curious I did a clean install of V5 and downloaded a file set. Seems that I had to increase the connection number in V5 as well. Then did a clean install of V6 and connection number is the same. I suspect the modem change is the source. However it does not matter at the moment to me so still luvin the new version.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support