Possible b4 issues

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Possible b4 issues

Postby ccarlin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi,
A few observations with b4 on a win7/64 system:

1) it appears the ChunkCacheSize max is 400. I try to set it to 800 in newsbin.nbi, but it gets rewritten to 400 (and newsbin runs with 400). I''d like it to be substantially larger. so that my downloads don't stop under heavy disk activity.
2) b4 has crashed twice when I was clicking on a lot of different newsgroup names in the groups tab (to download the latest). Some of the groups I clicked on were repeats (had just been clicked on). I don't know whether this is new to b4 or not.
3) I'm confused - when a file is being unrared/decoded the download status is green. However, what is displayed in the size section for that file doesn't appears to be meaningful. What should it be referring to?
4) Another question. Will a file name search capability be added back (like v5) such that one can search for filenames in the downloads and failed download lists at minimum?

Thanks for the great work.
ccarlin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Re: Possible b4 issues

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:26 pm

1 - did you do this with newsbin closed? ive set the cache to 5000 before now and it works

3 - the size should get fixed, currently im not sure what ti uses for the size
4 - yes quade has said that search in the downloads will be coming back
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:29 pm

1 - There's no cap on chunkcachesize. The default is 200 so, you have managed to change it. Newbin just reads it and never writes it so, it's whatever size the NBI says.
I'm skeptical that you can make it big enough anyway to hold over for a 20 Gb unrar. A faster disk or unraring to a different disk might be a better solution.

2 - I'll try to repro thanks.

3 - It's just wrong

4 - yes...sometime
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ccarlin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Right you are on the chunkcachesize setting - it can be set higher than 400. I must of done the edits while newsbin was running. Dumb mistake on my part ....

Thanks much, Chris.
ccarlin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support