Maintaining custom window placement

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Maintaining custom window placement

Postby bruce73 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 am

I'm finally getting the hang of how to move windows around and it's pretty cool. However, once I get it set up the way I want, it doesn't stick completely. Here's what I want to do:

Create a 3-pane view: subscribed groups on the upper left, group posts on the upper right, everything else bottom. However, every time I do "show new posts" in a group, it opens in a window at the bottom. So I move it to the upper right and it joins the other open groups. Then, if I close all the groups, the groups list spreads out across the whole top.

I did it this way in version 5 and when I closed all open groups there was like a placeholder space in the upper right that would stick. Is there a way to accomplish this with version 6, so that opening up a new group would automatically go there?

Hope this makes sense.
bruce73
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/23/04

Re: Maintaining custom window placement

Postby itimpi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Currently new Post tabs always open in the same area as the Search tab is located. Apparently they had to be tied to some tab that is always visible and that is the one Quade chose.

Whether this will change in the future I have no idea.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby bruce73 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm

OK. So what I did was move the Search pane to the upper right. Now when I open up a group, the post list sits next to it. And the Search position sticks, so problem solved it appears. 8)
bruce73
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/23/04

Postby cat_man » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm

It would have been nice if this was discussed in the release notes instead of those of us who don't use search that often are having to discover it ourselves. I had discussed this in my post here http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=27935
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/08/05

Postby richy99 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 am

you'd be suprised the number of people that dont read the release notes
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby DThor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:39 am

No, I wouldn't. :)

The knarly specific stuff related to the GUI has changed a fair bit in the last while, everyone is learning while hitting the ground running. Right now I have to fiddle a bit to get the setup I want, but it's 5 minutes out of my life then I never touch it again(until Quade makes another GUI change ;)) I agree that once everything gets closer to release a couple of methods of setting up the typical 3 pane setup, etc., could use with a short walkthrough. Until then, it's probably standard beta testing protocol of cussing, searching the forums and wtf's. This is one of the things you get when you choose to test new software prior to release.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support