Version 6 Beta 7 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6 Beta 7 Available...

Postby dexter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 pm

We are starting cleanup work preparing for final release. Most of the functionality is hooked up now, just a few more things to do.

Summary:

• Cosmetic fixes with icons, hooking up toolbar buttons, saving column widths across restarts in all tabs, etc.
  • Finally fixed the issue with losing selection in the download list when deleting items.
  • Hooked up auto-assembly of incomplete files
  • Improved how Newsbin retries downloads when receiving error
  • You can now turn off the new "Cache to Memory" mechanism. This feature works great if you have enough RAM by reducing disk I/O while downloading. People with lower performance machines should turn it off by setting MemCacheLimit to 0 in the .nbi file under the [Settings] section.
More changes and improvements are listed on the Newsbin Beta Page and in the text release notes that are available to you after the installer completes the upgrade.

The wiki buglist reflects current known issues and the list of fixed issues. This does not include inter-release issues that are found and addressed on the IRC channel.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6 Beta 7 Available...

Postby Semel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:35 pm

this is the first time i saw something like that

I guess it didnt like the way NB was packed =))

1) WHy AUtoPAR priority has been removed? is there a way to set it via INI?
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby itimpi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Semel wrote:

I think this may be due to the fact that Newsbin can now auto-detect if AutoPar is affecting download speed, and dynamically adjust priority to keep downloads running as fast as possible. Therefore the setting no longer has the same relevance.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Semel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 pm

I see. Thanx for a reply

PS
I still believe that autopause next jobs while the previous one is unrared\repaired is a good option. Say no to disk trashing :wink:
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:19 pm

There's not a single regular here that doesn't know you've asked for that at least a dozen times. We get it, there's no need to constantly repeat, it won't increase the odds of it happening.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby dexter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Semel wrote:Image

this is the first time i saw something like that

I guess it didnt like the way NB was packed =))

Have you updated your virus definitions lately? I'm running NOD32 and don't get that. It was happening last week, was reported to ESET, and they updated their virus definitions to stop the false positive hit. I've got Virus signature database: 5983 (20110324)
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm

still believe that autopause next jobs while the previous one is unrared\repaired is a good option. Say no to disk trashing

Might as well stop asking. People with good PC's can do both at the same time, download and unrar so, I don't see the point.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

1)
Have you updated your virus definitions lately?

Updated. Its OK now

2) Yeah sure. core 2 duo 3Ghz, up to 4Gb ram, several 2Tb disk is a bad PC . Made my day
Of course its not modern but for these purposes and most modern games its good

3) It says autoassemble works. it doesnt

I created a filter to download a soon to be uploaded release. 3 cd 700 mb each
FIles started to appear in a group and NB started to download them. Of course, there were articles not found errors(thank you astraweb) These articles should have been retried every 1 minute as i understand.

Now i have this:
http://img157.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _199lo.jpg

Cd1 : rar set 720+mb, second , smaller size r00
cd2 : same
cd3: same

Whats wrong?
Last edited by Semel on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

The incompletes will not be assembled for new posts. I believe they have to be 2 days old before Newsbin will auto-assemble. How old are these posts?
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Semel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:09 pm

dexter wrote:The incompletes will not be assembled for new posts. I believe they have to be 2 days old before Newsbin will auto-assemble. How old are these posts?

0_0

I believe i wrote in a previous post that i created a filter for an upcoming upload.
Then in several minutes files started getting uploaded to usenet. NB started to download them. It was maybe half an hour ago
Now these posts are complete, of course( i mean on usenet. They were complete after ~3 minutes after the last file was uploaded)) But Nb that supposedly should redownload articles that failed every 1 min doesnt do anything.

PS i would want to have a window like failed files where i can manuallyselect failed articles and redownload them,just in case.

PSS two days? Are you kidding me? I thought it would work like it should.
"save incomplete partials", scan files, redownload failed articles every 1 minute and then when all files are downloaded- unrar, like UE.Wait 2 days? What for?
Two days? jesus Thats just ridiculous to say the least..
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby richy99 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

it was 48 hours in v5 aswell for retry download of incomplete files
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby dexter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 pm

I forgot you said the posts were in the process of being posted.

Did you download headers again for these posts? Once they become complete, Newsbin should auto-assemble them. If this isn't happening then you've found a bug.

The 2 days is to allow enough time for a post to complete. If after 2 days the post does not become complete, Newsbin will auto-assemble it as an incomplete file. The amount of time to wait is configurable in the .nbi file.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Semel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Did you download headers again for these posts?

Yes. Nbschedule updated headers every 1 minute. They were complete(headers were green) in a group after that.

The 2 days is to allow enough time for a post to complete. If after 2 days the post does not become complete, Newsbin will auto-assemble it as an incomplete file

thanx for clarification. Thats more like it.

And what about this strange thing on my screen- devided in two sets?

PS i dunno if its important. Im using two NNTP providers. Astraweb+giganews simultaneously.Headers are downloaded only via astraweb it works great in a combination utilizing my two internet connections(~9-10MB + ~6MB) and if one doesnt have articles then another got them.Well, at least in UE and in nb5(as far as i remember)

PPS Second attempt..set several filters, stuff is getting downloaded.
im getting loads(2+k) of FIleIOThread Internal Crash in logging tab
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:24 pm

In the new status column you'll see:

D: - Downloaded files
DL: - Downloading files
Inc: - Incomplete Files
P: Paused files.

I haven't read my own release notes so, I don't know if this is in there.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:03 am

Quade

Ok. im looking at my screenshot..
I see some files being downloaded though they were clearly not. (Speed=0)
Several incomplete and several paused(probably par2 files)

Any idea why i have instead of 3 700+mb sets in a download queue two times more?

When i tried to go through automated download once again witht he files that were in the process of uploading Nb created two sets instead of one again for each item and the end result was the same. =((

What does this internal crash error mean? Does it have anything to do with all this?I dont get this error if i download something that is totally complete on usenet meaning there are not articles not found etc and o dont get two sets instead of one in this case

Tha is really frustrating.. i get 16.5MB download speed with this memory trick now which is awesome..but all this is a real joykiller

PS Ive tried again 15 minutes ago
File size is 1.8Gb

Again two sets One of correct size, another is 1Gb(wtf??)

http://img235.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _168lo.jpg
http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _352lo.jpg
http://img283.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... 2_43lo.jpg

Whats worse. NB6 still sees in a group window this uplaod as INCOMPLETE. Though UE that has been running at the same time correctly updated all headers with the same update rate(1 minute)

If i delete all headers and downlaod them again then this file is complete.

My verdict as of now: NB6 is completely unusable if you need something downloading via filters and the stuff is being uploaded to usenet(download on the fly). At least for me. What a pity.. thats what i do 99% of time
Last edited by Semel on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Andreas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 am

In the internet search tab, right-clicking on a post and selecting Expand Search Results does nothing.

Ctrl+H at least opens a new tab named Temp.nzb, but the content is not what I would expect. I would expect a list of all the files in that post. Instead, Temp.nzb contains just one singe entry which cannot be expanded (clicking on the right-arrow does nothing).
Andreas
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/10

Postby dexter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:58 am

Andreas wrote:In the internet search tab, right-clicking on a post and selecting Expand Search Results does nothing.

Ctrl+H at least opens a new tab named Temp.nzb, but the content is not what I would expect. I would expect a list of all the files in that post. Instead, Temp.nzb contains just one singe entry which cannot be expanded (clicking on the right-arrow does nothing).

How big is the file? I just tested with 43GB file. Both expansion and ctrl-h worked as expected.

Is it happening all the time or just for certain posts? Are there any messages in the Logging tab?

How about PMing me a couple of examples and I'll look into it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby richy99 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 am

Semel wrote:Quade

Ok. im looking at my screenshot..
I see some files being downloaded though they were clearly not. (Speed=0)
Several incomplete and several paused(probably par2 files)

Any idea why i have instead of 3 700+mb sets in a download queue two times more?

When i tried to go through automated download once again witht he files that were in the process of uploading Nb created two sets instead of one again for each item and the end result was the same. =((

What does this internal crash error mean? Does it have anything to do with all this?I dont get this error if i download something that is totally complete on usenet meaning there are not articles not found etc and o dont get two sets instead of one in this case

Tha is really frustrating.. i get 16.5MB download speed with this memory trick now which is awesome..but all this is a real joykiller

PS Ive tried again 15 minutes ago
File size is 1.8Gb

Again two sets One of correct size, another is 1Gb(wtf??)

http://img235.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _168lo.jpg
http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _352lo.jpg
http://img283.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... 2_43lo.jpg

Whats worse. NB6 still sees in a group window this uplaod as INCOMPLETE. Though UE that has been running at the same time correctly updated all headers with the same update rate(1 minute)

If i delete all headers and downlaod them again then this file is complete.

My verdict as of now: NB6 is completely unusable if you need something downloading via filters and the stuff is being uploaded to usenet(download on the fly). At least for me. What a pity.. thats what i do 99% of time

you are probbaly better off using v5.59 for now until v6 gets relwased, its a beta so i dont see why you should be getting frustrated, not everything is going to be working correctly, especially retries as it has only just been hooked back up so is bound to bit funky at present
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Semel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 am

you are probbaly better off using v5.59 for now until v6 gets relwased

yeah i guess you are right.. Though i must say that all NB versions have had this one flaw, when they often dont properly update headers =( You can click update all you want they will still be incomplete when in fact they are complete..=(
Maybe there should be some kind of 'rescan" option where you set the ammount of last headers to be rescaned/..i dunno

I think someone doing testing should also test under the conditions ive mentioned in my previous posts.. it can clearly indicate if there is a problem with 1) updating\rescaning headers 2) assembling incomplete 3) retrying failed articles.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby leftovers » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 am

Semel,

I just dl'd that exact file with no issue with the beta so im not sure what your issue is, if you are sitting by constantly updating headers then it might sit as incomplete till all parts are posted

i had clean dl and decode....
leftovers
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/23/06

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:58 am

If you need real time updates of the download list item, you'll have to hit the "retry download" button or right click. Currently Newsbin updates download list items when a retry happens which is a minimum of one minute after the last chunk downloads and gets longer as the number of retries increases.

As it sits now, 6 doesn't do real time updates of the download list items after a header update.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby b38kje2nq » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Not exactly a showstopper, but 6.0 beta 7 doesn't seem to respect the numbers setting of non-English locale formats with regard to the decimal symbol (Dutch: comma) and digit grouping symbol (Dutch: point). It makes it slightly slower to quickly parse numbers in the status bar and the download list. Oddly in this context, it does display the dates correctly.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby siskoray » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I am loving the new GUI. It's definitely a reflection on how the developers are constantly at work in approving and evolving their already insanely straightforward product. :wink:

:idea: My only request is that you will hopefully re-implement in the status bar, as one of the customizable choices, the ability to see the total size of my selections. It's a tool that I feel is vital, especially in determining where to save those selections based on the free size remaining within my array of drives. :idea:

Cheers,
AK
siskoray
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/22/07

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Yeah, it's going to make a come back. I use it too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:57 pm

I just dl'd that exact file with no issue

No wonder.It was posted long time ago.

Im talking about downloading while the upload is still in progress with proper updating of headers,proper scanning of partially downloaded stuff,proper retrying of failed articles, proper assemble of incompletes.
You do that.

Quade im not talking about "real time update"

Just look at the screens! Whats going on there is ridiculous. \Where do these double sets come from?Its a total mess.. Imagine what happens when there are several items in a queue.
Im still waiting for an explanation of these strange duplicates

urrently Newsbin updates download list items when a retry happens which is a minimum of one minute after the last chunk downloads and gets longer as the number of retries increases.

U mean that after the first retry the time between reties increases? For what purpose?
Id like to have an option via ini to set up retry failed articles time to be constant every minute then ,like UE allows to set retry interval manually.. or whatever interferes with the normal process of retrying failed articles-updating properly headers - and assembling incompletes to be fixed at some point in the future.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby richy99 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm

its beta, theres your explanation, you are an oddball case that downloads stuff as its being posted, 95% of newsbin users dont do this as they dont need to be the first to get the post or report a post

i also think you are obsessed with ini file options and comparing newsbin to UE all the time is pointless, its like comparing apples to oranges

i think for now you are best off going back to 5.59 and coming back to the beta cycle further down the line
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby davidn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

richy99 wrote:its beta, theres your explanation, you are an oddball case that downloads stuff as its being posted, 95% of newsbin users dont do this as they dont need to be the first to get the post or report a post

I download things as they are being posted and I am not an oddball. I do want to be the first to get the post. I believe Quade is going to eventually add an incomplete new post to be automatic downloaded as NewsBin updates the headers.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Quade is going to eventually add an incomplete new post to be automatic downloaded as NewsBin updates the headers.

That's there now but, it happens when a retry happens and there are new headers in the DB. I added a 1 gig set to the download list, checked it in the morning and it had grown to 14 gigs. Hourly header downloads and retries had filled in all the missing pieces. This set didn't have pars or it would have unrared too.

You notice I seldom say "it's beta" because that implies I'm not happy with the way it's working. Right now B7 works the way I intend it to work. Retries make it check for new records to add to incomplete items in the download list. That's my intent, that's how it works. Not saying that's how the final will work because things grow and change as I play with them. That's how it works now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DareDevil © » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Just to let you know. Version 6 beta 7 just left running to download headers every 4 hours.

Application Crash:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Newsbinpro64.exe
Application Version: 6.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d8b4ba1
Fault Module Name: StackHash_eb99
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c8f9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000c40f2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: eb99
Additional Information 2: eb99e3d6b1c9b2e810e4f7ad7f2286cd
Additional Information 3: 10c0
Additional Information 4: 10c063dd3c999c533be0db488e36c486

Don't know if that will help you or not. First time that Newsbin has ever crashed on me.
There are 10 types of people who understand binary code: those who do & those who don't
DareDevil ©
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/18/06

Postby richy99 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:48 pm

unfortunately the app crash doesnt give any relevant info
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Kraut2003 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:17 am

Just a reminder - the only thing I am missing at the moment in V6.0 B7 is being able to sort the
groups list via drag and drop as it was b4 in V5.59 - not hooked up yet i think and no show stopper at all

the rest incl. the new gui is working fine for me

thx for your good work Quade & Team

Thomas
Kraut2003
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/16/03

Postby Semel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 am

i also think you are obsessed with ini file options and comparing newsbin to UE all the time is pointless, its like comparing apples to oranges

well,
1) im not obsessed with ini options. i just understand that interface is limited, that many users wouldnt want to see their settings window flooded with advanced settings for experienced users who like to have maximum control over the given app, that Quade has enough to do than adding something to interface and thats why making certain advanced options available via ini is a win win situation.

2) Is NB a newsreader or not? Or its a nzb download "robot" only like sabnzbd?
The comparison is totally justified
There is nothing wrong with comparing two software that hold the same niche
There is nothing wrong taking the best from the best
95% of newsbin users dont do this as they dont need to be the first to get the post or report a post

1)here goes a user who needs it too(a post above)

2)NB claims to be a newsreader thus working at full potential with headers is a priority.
Its not about something that is allegedly not needed by the "majority" users.
Its about making things right about covering all angles.Its about making a perfect newsreader

Hourly header downloads and retries had filled in all the missing pieces

THIS
NB has problems with doing often header updates resulting in showing stuff incomplete when it is complete. And it has always been there.Why7 i dunno im not a developer
Is it an anomaly? Yes.Since there is a software that does it right
Should it be fixed later?Of course. As any bug

i think for now you are best off going back to 5.59 and coming back to the beta cycle further down the line

im with you 100% .

good luck with development Quade
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby magician1962 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:22 am

As it has been suggested I post here rather than an individual thread for each issue.
There is possibly still an intermittent issue with the download filesize in B7. Currently i am getting an indication of 1011.46TB earlier it was at one point showing 16xxxTB when the actual value is about 12GB
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support