Question on the new headers

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Question on the new headers

Postby DaveXVI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm not sure I understand the new header thing.

The upgrade page for B7 says a new V6 folder will be created for the new format headers. Does that mean we can install V6 into the same data folder we use for V5, and then use V6 for headers we download from now on, and start up V5 if we want to download files from the old headers?

I have about 25 GB of headers, and would just as soon not convert them if I don't have to.

Also, in the B7 release notes, it says: "Added ability to totally disable the new download method." Can you elaborate on that? Is it referring to segments being assembled in RAM rather than on disk?
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/23/04

Re: Question on the new headers

Postby itimpi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm

DaveXVI wrote:Also, in the B7 release notes, it says: "Added ability to totally disable the new download method." Can you elaborate on that? Does it mean that downloads will look like they did in V5?

It is possible in v6 to use RAM as a disk cache,, and Newsbin can then try and do AutoPar work from RAM only writing fles out when it has to (or if they are above a certain trigger size - currently set to 20MB). However some people were complaining that files seemed to disappear into the ether snd never make it to disk. It is not clear what the criteria is for you to encounter this issue, so this allows you to disable working from RAM for this purpose if you experience problems.

I expect that at some point when this mode of working has all issues thrashed out this switch may then be removed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby DaveXVI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks, I saw a few releases down that they were assembling files in RAM, and edited my post, probably while you were responding.

Do you happen to know about V5 and V6 running from the same data folder? Would it be smarter to just make V6 a separate install into a new data folder, and copy my nbi folder to the new folder, and then start whichever version I needed based on the age of the post?
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I run out of the same old data folder. I don't switch back and forth though.

I'm doubting the memory mode switch will be removed because the problem with it not working is screwed up PC's. Probably infected with virus scanners that don't like to see 50-100 megs written in one go. It's going to ship turned off in fact and the power users can enable it if they want to.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DaveXVI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Well, now that I think on it, I guess my main reason for trying out the beta is to play with the new interface, so there's no need to copy all my settings, so I'll put it in a new data folder and start from the defaults. That should prevent any possibility of messing up my V5.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DaveXVI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Oops, that didn't work. The Beta exits if I don't let it upgrade.

Is there any way I can install it without overwriting V5?
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:53 pm

No, but, you can make a copy of 5.59's program folder first though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DaveXVI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:03 pm

So if I just save the 10MB or so of the exe's and dll's in that one folder, plus my nbi and db3 files from the data folder, I can copy them back later and be where I was, since V6 uses a different spool folder?
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:53 am

Sure, should work. Just be aware of a couple things :

1. There's not a lot of people (probably none) who are testing specifically the ability to go back and forth, because

2. in the end, the absolutely worse possible scenario would be to wipe the lot and just reinstall 5 again. Keep your spools and your nbi, probably filters.db3 too, and you're back where you started apart from setting up your panes and columns preferences. It really isn't that big of a deal.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support